Why is it so challenging to find someone who is willing to commit to Christian dating?

nightjar

Executive Member
We have all heard that sex before marriage is a sin but too few people compared to the world's population get married virgins.

I am 25yrs old and not a virgin. For the past two years, I've been learning new things about my Christianity that I did not know or that I was not entirely really taught while growing up and I have made decisions based on those things.

One of those decisions is to not have sex again until I get married. Which is fairly easy as I don't really have that much experience with the other gender. I've only tried dating twice in these two years and both were turned-off by the fact that I want to avoid sex...until marriage most preferably. But even Christian guys seem to think I'm chasing pavements.

Is this really too much to ask for?
Lots of good comments on this thread.

I think that your first action should be to become more familiar with the Christian User Guide. There's something in it to justify every taste but very few preachers know/teach anything outside their own interests and background. (I grew up in a Jesuit boys-only boarding school where the prep school house master, a very well educated priest, taught us that men had one less rib than women because of the rib that God took from Adam).

Until the middle ages it was perfectly acceptable for priests to have wives and mistresses and the reason that Rome banned the custom was to prevent wives, mistresses and children from inheriting at the expense of the Church. Before you say that you are not a Catholic, remember that your bible is a product of the Catholic Church and, when it was assembled in the 4th century, all non-authorized documents were ordered destroyed. We are lucky that some were preserved at Nag Hamadi.

I have an ex colleague and friend that I only get to see at about three month intervals. She is very active in her happy clappy church and has, for many years, maintained two boyfriends without compromising her beliefs. When I asked her what she would do if she fell pregnant she said she would have an abortion. I am not sure if she was aware that even abortion can be justified by a careful reading of the bible.

Life is too short to damage your health by abstaining from sex so if you meet a guy where the chemistry is right, grab him and bang his brains out.

Regarding the sex part; many of the biblical heroes had multiple wives and concubines so there is no reason that women cannot do the same in the modern world - King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines and I would bet that he had way more fun with the concubines than with wives who probably always had headaches.

Sex is a part of human physiology and is as important as eating or sleeping and two million years of evolution has made it pleasurable to ensure that it happens regularly.

In a long and misspent life I have a few regrets but never having "known" a virgin is not one of them and I always found that a previously test-driven lady was fun to be with.

@naledi96

Lots of good comments on this thread.

I think that your first action should be to become more familiar with the Christian User Guide. There's something in it to justify every taste but very few preachers know/teach anything outside their own interests and background. (I grew up in a Jesuit boys-only boarding school where the prep school house master, a very well educated priest, taught us that men had one less rib than women because of the rib that God took from Adam).

Until the middle ages it was perfectly acceptable for priests to have wives and mistresses and the reason that Rome banned the custom was to prevent wives, mistresses and children from inheriting at the expense of the Church. Before you say that you are not a Catholic, remember that your bible is a product of the Catholic Church and, when it was assembled in the 4th century, all non-authorized documents were ordered destroyed. We are lucky that some were preserved at Nag Hamadi.

I have an ex colleague and friend that I only get to see at about three month intervals. She is very active in her happy clappy church and has, for many years, maintained two boyfriends without compromising her beliefs. When I asked her what she would do if she fell pregnant she said she would have an abortion. I am not sure if she was aware that even abortion can be justified by a careful reading of the bible.

Life is too short to damage your health by abstaining from sex so if you meet a guy where the chemistry is right, grab him and bang his brains out.

Regarding the sex part; many of the biblical heroes had multiple wives and concubines so there is no reason that women cannot do the same in the modern world - King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines and I would bet that he had way more fun with the concubines than with wives who probably always had headaches.

Sex is a part of human physiology and is as important as eating or sleeping and two million years of evolution has made it pleasurable to ensure that it happens regularly.

In a long and misspent life I have a few regrets but never having "known" a virgin is not one of them and I always found that a previously test-driven lady was fun to be with.
Thank you. Also for the brief history, I've actually been meaning to do research about the Jesuit-Catholic stuff you mentioned there.

nightjar

Executive Member
You know.... a lot of that stuff is why people look down on Christians.... and why Christians look down on Catholics.... just pointing that out.
Slight edit:
...why people look down on all religion.