Why is Lion beer so cheap?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Yes, buying the cans would be a mistake. That's in part why I made this thread. Making the 750ml R10 yet pricing the smaller containers at a higher amount makes very little sense.

And nobody has given a satisfactory answer yet - though in hindsight I should have specified that I was specifically referring to the price of the quarts

Safferbeauty

Expert Member
I pay R18 a litre black label at my pick n pay in somerset west and they still give me R2.80 discount everytime so i pay R15.20 for 1 litre. Black Label se die Bybel bru :thumbsup:
and i get one rond back for the empty

Which pick n pay in somerset west? I am here for the next 8 days so would be awesome topay a little less. I pay basically R20 at Tops in Somerset West

chrisc

Executive Member
Checkers Liquor Plumstead selling 6 Black Label for R99,99

gamer16

Honorary Master
Was bored so I calculated that I've already consumed more than 150 Liters of Lion this year, getting fat now.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Bought a couple of crates for R120 each. (500ml cans). Also Flying fish Chill for R120.
Now that's a bargain. (Don't ask where it fell off)

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Anyone knows when this promotion/special is ending? I bought Friday, still on R10 a bottle. But someone told me now, that it seems to be over.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Bought a couple of crates for R120 each. (500ml cans). Also Flying fish Chill for R120.
Now that's a bargain. (Don't ask where it fell off)
Could also be close to expiry, tops my side was selling Becks at R120 for a case of 24 bottles as it expires in a months time

gamer16

Honorary Master
Still wondering why the bottles are so much cheaper than the cans, a case of 750's @ makro works out to R11.00 Per Liter whereas the cans 24 x 500 works out to R21.46 per Liter.

Odd I say.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Odd, yes, but I'm not complaining. I'm STRONGLY considering buying a few quarts, emptying them into a 5l mini keg, slapping in a bung and taking it camping with my party tap instead of lugging along bottles. By my calcs I should buy 6 quarts to almost-almost fill a 5l party keg. So I'll buy 7 and just finish off the open one.

Ecko_1

Still wondering why the bottles are so much cheaper than the cans, a case of 750's @ makro works out to R11.00 Per Liter whereas the cans 24 x 500 works out to R21.46 per Liter.

Odd I say.

The manufacturing cost is much higher for cans vs quartz. It's the packaging that makes the difference. For cans you factor in the cost of the can and can end which is about R1 per can. For quartz you dont factor in the bottle cost. Just the 3 labels and the crown which is about 10c or less per bottle.

The beer is the same. Filtered in the same tank. Just routed to different packaging lines.

gamer16

Honorary Master
The manufacturing cost is much higher for cans vs quartz. It's the packaging that makes the difference. For cans you factor in the cost of the can and can end which is about R1 per can. For quartz you dont factor in the bottle cost. Just the 3 labels and the crown which is about 10c or less per bottle.

The beer is the same. Filtered in the same tank. Just routed to different packaging lines.

Ah I see, also I suppose the bottles go through a lot of recycling making things a lot cheaper.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Would I be right in saying do you think that, @ R11 per liter (Excl dep) its the cheapest beer on the market?