Why is Lion beer so cheap?

Nick333

Honorary Master
Would I be right in saying do you think that, @ R11 per liter (Excl dep) its the cheapest beer on the market?
Out of beers that are readily available, without a doubt. The next cheapest at my local tops is Tafel or something at around R15 for a quart.

Bobbin

Executive Member
There's hardly a beer I won't drink. But Lion has been my recent go to.

Everyone I've introduced it to also stuck with it. It's nice as far as commercial beers go. Doesn't get more watery like others after a few either.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Out of beers that are readily available, without a doubt. The next cheapest at my local tops is Tafel or something at around R15 for a quart.

Best of all its not a bad beer, just goes down so quick.

Still want to give Tafel a try, see its about R14.6 a liter at Makro, also nice and cheap compared to more than R20 for most beers.

Nick333

Honorary Master

Still want to give Tafel a try, see its about R14.6 a liter at Makro, also nice and cheap compared to more than R20 for most beers.
I sometimes get bloated on the stuff before I can get a decent buzz on, especially if I eat during. Castle doesn't seem to do that to me. It's amazing how much difference a half a percent can make.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
I sometimes get bloated on the stuff before I can get a decent buzz on, especially if I eat during. Castle doesn't seem to do that to me. It's amazing how much difference a half a percent can make.

I know what you mean, I get that with Guinness and the like. Helps a bit to sit and stand up properly straight so the gas can escape easily I find.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Best tip to about bloated/gassy feeling when drinking beer? Stop drinking out of the damn bottle or can. Pour. Pouring opens up the beer to your nose, meaning you taste it better and it releases the vast majority of the CO2, so it doesn't make you bloated. Also, pour properly. Don't use a wet glass and pour so slowly down the side that you don't get any head - POUR it. Let it splash a bit, let it foam up. Use a large enough glass. It helps A LOT.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Best tip to about bloated/gassy feeling when drinking beer? Stop drinking out of the damn bottle or can. Pour. Pouring opens up the beer to your nose, meaning you taste it better and it releases the vast majority of the CO2, so it doesn't make you bloated. Also, pour properly. Don't use a wet glass and pour so slowly down the side that you don't get any head - POUR it. Let it splash a bit, let it foam up. Use a large enough glass. It helps A LOT.
I never drink out of a bottle, and certainly not out of a can(yuck).

Indian

You are indeed an Expert member.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
You are indeed an Expert member.
LOL not at all. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people insist that "beer blows me up" and when they pitch up for a braai they end up drinking out of the can. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Dretastic06

Still want to give Tafel a try, see its about R14.6 a liter at Makro, also nice and cheap compared to more than R20 for most beers.[/Q

Tafel is quite good, i find it a bit sweet though and you need to drink a lot of it to get in a buzz.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master

If the point is to get a buzz I'll have a few shots of Whiskey or Brandy just to get things moving. Otherwise I usually just drink because I like it and one thing leads to another.

I've noticed my tolerance is very much affected when I drink because I'm angry or have had a schitty day, usually I'll buy 2 Windhoek's here at work and Finnish them on the way home, then I'll drink 2 or 3 rums and by then have a nice buzz on.

Ecko_1

Ah I see, also I suppose the bottles go through a lot of recycling making things a lot cheaper.
The returnable quart bottles have an expected lifespan of about 18 months on average. So instead of a once off cost of a bottle in your beer, there is just an element of depreciation of the returnable bottle in the beer.

Ecko_1

Odd, yes, but I'm not complaining. I'm STRONGLY considering buying a few quarts, emptying them into a 5l mini keg, slapping in a bung and taking it camping with my party tap instead of lugging along bottles. By my calcs I should buy 6 quarts to almost-almost fill a 5l party keg. So I'll buy 7 and just finish off the open one.
The beer will be flat by the time you are ready to drink it.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I find it the other way around. I can drink lion and not get bloated.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
This is what I do and it really works. People stare at me when I do it but its much better.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
The beer will be flat by the time you are ready to drink it.
Nope. The bung seals airtight, and the tap keeps pressure in the keg. I've had half a keg stand for weeks, and beer was still carbonated with every pour.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
That's not going to taste lekker. Beer has a shelf life, and while cans last longer than bottles, that's going to be stale as all hell :laugh::laugh::laugh:

EDIT: Oh, you guys wondered why Lion is cheap? Check that left-side can. The ingredient after hops is a very very very cheap fermentable, used to push ABV without adding body to the beer. That's why Lion can clock in at 4% ABV but it's very "light" in your mouth. Sucrose just adds alcohol and a "watery" or "thin" feeling in your mouth.

Doesn't matter to me. For what Lion is, it's pretty good, and I always have one or two in the pantry. I paid R56 for a 6-pack 500ml cans over the weekend.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
On the topic, I have to retract what I said above. This weekend, for the fun of it, I checked the ingredients in a can of Lion. There's no longer sucrose in the mix. Back to square one, it seems.