Why is Lion beer so cheap?

Stallion_12

What fun it was reading through this thread while sipping on a nice chilled quart of lion, and decided to look up why it's so cheap in comparison to the rest. And it's still only R10!

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
bought a case once 2 months ago, battled to get through it, back to my black label 1 litre quarts again for R19,91 (and get 91 cents back for empty so 19 rond per litre)

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
bought a case once 2 months ago, battled to get through it, back to my black label 1 litre quarts again for R19,91 (and get 91 cents back for empty so 19 rond per litre)

Technically a liter isn't a quart, the same as a 330ml dumpie isn't a pint. /OCD....sorry :)

I go through these lions, much too quick. Today, 2nd case bought for the month.

Pineapple Smurf

Technically a liter isn't a quart, the same as a 330ml dumpie isn't a pint. /OCD....sorry :)

I go through these lions, much too quick. Today, 2nd case bought for the month.
yes yes just saying 'quarts' and you know what i mean :)
I am proud of you, i drink 2x1l blacks everyday after work, 1 extra 1 on weekends

lowriderza

Expert Member
I went to Tops and wanted to grab a few quarts. I noticed the Lions were R10.99 each, while the Castle and Black Label were gonig for R15.99.

Why is that?
Because at least 1% of the average human life needs to be bearable, so in your case the universe gave you cheap drinkable beer. Enjoy it.

genetic

Honorary Master
Lion gives me a heavier babelas than when drinking Castle Lite or Windhoek... Still buy it for its price though.

Pineapple Smurf

I'd rather drink my own piss.
Image result for bear grylls drinking piss

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Fillers like?

LOL. But seriously, check out the ingredients. They add cheap fermentables (sugars) to get more alcohol. It doesn't contribute to the mouthfeel or the body or the flavour of the beer, it literally makes it feel and taste more watery (which isn't always a bad thing). On top of that, they often use hop extracts, which drastically reduced their time and effort spent on making the beer, but it also reduces hop flavour and aroma, resulting in just plain bitterness, and not much else. The result is a plain beer. If you like it, that's also good. I do. It's cheap and after a hot day, a watery brew helps the thirst. It's not to everyone's taste, but cest la vie.