Why is Lion beer so cheap?

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
LOL. But seriously, check out the ingredients. They add cheap fermentables (sugars) to get more alcohol. It doesn't contribute to the mouthfeel or the body or the flavour of the beer, it literally makes it feel and taste more watery (which isn't always a bad thing). On top of that, they often use hop extracts, which drastically reduced their time and effort spent on making the beer, but it also reduces hop flavour and aroma, resulting in just plain bitterness, and not much else. The result is a plain beer. If you like it, that's also good. I do. It's cheap and after a hot day, a watery brew helps the thirst. It's not to everyone's taste, but cest la vie.
A friend of mine said, they probably rake the used yeast from the Castle fermenter and then re-use it for Lion's fermenting, to save some money.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Completely possible, and definitely not a problem either. Re-using a yeast cake is very common and actually a very good thing to do, specially when making lagers, so with that I have not a single issue.

rh1

Expert Member
How did I miss this thread, is Lion still cheap?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I went to Tops and they have absolutely buggerall beer, except these things. It's not bad at all, but it gives me heartburn

ScorpioZA

I went to Tops and they have absolutely buggerall beer, except these things. It's not bad at all, but it gives me heartburn

Yup - our tops in our small town had 0 beer on opening. I wonder if it was smokkeled out

nova69

Kuils river tops Hasendal low on beer,the one in the main rd just a few windhoek left.
PNP in the main rd by shoprite fully stocked.No shortage on lion quarts

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
SAB stocks are overflowing. Will take a few days to get deliveries out.

FrankyF

Expert Member
I am going to pick up 8 cases of Lion Quarts now :love:
Restecpa
giphy.gif