Why is our infection rate so low all of a sudden??

EventHorizon

So if you look at the graph of covid new infections per day in south africa... we reached a peak around mid July. We were having around +14 000 infections a day.

Then around the 29th of July... the graph stats to exponentially decrease, basically going all the way down to like 2000 infections in the last few days.

Any idea what caused this drastic change ?? As far as I know, no other country has experienced this naturally... I mean the only thing we changed was move to a less strict lockdown so if anything, it shouldve gotten worse right?

R13...

Honorary Master
The more tests that are done the more infections you pick up. If there are no tests, there are no infections. Also why there are less tests, are because less people are going for tests.
The positivity rate has also come down below 10% and I think it peaked in the 30s. And yes there's apparently been a huge decrease in demand for tests

TheJman

Expert Member
It makes zero sense - our percentage of positive cases to tests done has come down dramatically as well.

The confusing bit is that we are into week 4 from the move to stage 2 - we should have seen a massive resurgence in cases as has been seen overseas (more people going out and mixing, more community spread).

They don't seem to know - which is scary in itself

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Spring kicked in, we Africans have a tough immune system unlike the 1st world countries and we are coming out of our homes ready to party, go to sea, get drunk, braai everyday and say **** you Covid19 !!! Let the good times roll :thumbsup:

rietrot

Honorary Master
The whether. People get these flu like viruses in winter. The virus likes it cold.

Thats why the northern hemisphere is also starting to pick up again now. It has nothing to do with lockdowns or mask or nonsense.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It makes zero sense - our percentage of positive cases to tests done has come down dramatically as well.

The confusing bit is that we are into week 4 from the move to stage 2 - we should have seen a massive resurgence in cases as has been seen overseas (more people going out and mixing, more community spread).

They don't seem to know - which is scary in itself

Its simple, Lockdown did fek all in this country. The virus has largely burnt through the population because it ran rampant through the townships already.

Finish and Klaar.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Infection rates usually fall in the summer months, the only exception to this rule is the USA and India

Pineapple Smurf

This entire year i saw no one with a cold
no one with a cough
no one with sneezes
no one with bronchitis
no one with the flu
fokkoli, nothing

covid19 has been good for us here in RSA coz airports were closed and the people weren't bringing the northern hemisphere diseases back home :thumbsup:

duckgray

This entire year i saw no one with a cold
no one with a cough
no one with sneezes
no one with bronchitis
no one with the flu
fokkoli, nothing

covid19 has been good for us here in RSA coz airports were closed and the people weren't bringing the northern hemisphere diseases back home :thumbsup:
also most people were locked up inside and not out and about like every other year?

Pineapple Smurf

also most people were locked up inside and not out and about like every other year?
Nope, dont buy that
I was out everyday buying groceries, walking to the shops coz I was craving excercise
When we hit Level 4 I went back to work travelling 100km a day work and home on motorbike

No one got sick :unsure:

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Same up here in Namibia, as summer moved in the numbers just plummeted......El Prsidento in fact mention that our State of Emergency will not be extended and that only a few things will still be kept in place... Social distancing, masks, 50 people gather, borders closed..... in a nutshell....