Why is our infection rate so low all of a sudden??

EventHorizon

herd immunity has largely been reached...South Africa should be the worlds safest long distance holiday destination this season.
Any tourist will basically be safe as the virus is unable to survive and spread in a population that has largely had it already
How though? 1 million people isnt even close to our full population?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Yikes, 21 million less than 19 years old. Where are they all going to work?

We only have about 10 million people currently working.

Seems like disaster on the horizon.

Simple math says:

- about 1 million new people looking for jobs each year.
- about 10million / 40 = 250k leaving workforce each year. Assuming people work between 20 years and 60 years old.
- so 750k brand new jobs need to be created each year.
Very bad for economy, very good for fighting the plague.

Paulsie

Expert Member
We were screwed out of 2020 for a slightly harsher flu.
Let's just hope the screwing ends with 2020!!!! I somehow suspect though that Christmas is going to get canceled this year around the world.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Let's just hope the screwing ends with 2020!!!! I somehow suspect though that Christmas is going to get canceled this year around the world.

very bleak Christmas in store for us, no leave, no money, no jobs.
probably going to be a depressing Christmas this year,

Lupus

Honorary Master
Check out this guy. He thinks the only people that have had a disease are those that got tested for it. What a - ahem - novel idea...
Yeah I mean it's really odd that somehow this very infectious disease only infected a small portion of the population, I mean not even 2%

neoprema

Executive Member
Check out this guy. He thinks the only people that have had a disease are those that got tested for it. What a - ahem - novel idea...
According to WHO this thing, the moment it landed in the townships would rip through there like a fire.

Apparently, that was supposed to happen around June/July. So what this means is it probably did happen but it has not resulted in the mass deaths projected, nor was there enough testing to actually reflect those numbers.

I know of at least two families who said their domestic workers fell sick during Level 4 with COVID symptoms and the clinic sent them away with cough medicine. When the one asked about a COVID-19 test she was told there's not enough she'll only be tested if she goes to hospital...

so yeah, the positive side to all of this is it may not land up being the mass killing machine everyone thought it was, and we've probably got a major chunk of the population with antibodies.

The Govt really needs to step up now with MASS antibody testing on a really big scale to actually confirm this so we can get some positivity. It can't be that expensive or difficult?

Paulsie

Expert Member
I know of at least two families who said their domestic workers fell sick during Level 4 with COVID symptoms and the clinic sent them away with cough medicine. When the one asked about a COVID-19 test she was told there's not enough she'll only be tested if she goes to hospital...
Exactly what should have happened right from the start

garp

Executive Member
The below doesn't seem be getting the publicity it deserves as it's something of a bombshell, IMHO.

On average 40% of antenatal and HIV patients tested positive for Covid-19 antibodies in a study that started in July. And we know that a significant proportion of people that have been infected with Covid-19 do not show antibodies (since they presumably had T-Cell immunity), so the true figure is potentially much higher - plus since some time has passed the figure is probably even higher again.

Although they attempt to attribute some portion of this high prevalence to the fact that these are people who would have been seeking out patient treatment and would therefore have had higher exposure, I'm not convinced.

Professor Mahdi at Wits maintains that at least 45% of South Africans have been infected - which is consistent with this data. If this extrapolates to the general population then we are looking at closer to 25m infections in SA and an IFR in the region of 0.06%, which I believe is lower even than influenza.

ProfA

Honorary Master
Just fitted two new tyres at the local Tiger,Wheel & Tyre. One employee (tyre fitter) not wearing a mask at all. No fcks given.

Tom427

Numbers go down since we can have roast chicken again. I had approx 8 sinus and throat infections since March, but recovered in 1 or 2 days. Probably 50% were Covid 19...

Seriously, as mentioned: SA does have shorter lasting colds (as in: infections). In the nothern hemishpere I carried a throat infection typically for 2 weeks. Here i am cured in 3 days. And don't even stop working.

Paulsie

Expert Member
Numbers go down since we can have roast chicken again. I had approx 8 sinus and throat infections since March, but recovered in 1 or 2 days. Probably 50% were Covid 19...

Seriously, as mentioned: SA does have shorter lasting colds (as in: infections). In the nothern hemishpere I carried a throat infection typically for 2 weeks. Here i am cured in 3 days. And don't even stop working.
Superspreader?? :ROFL:

noxibox

Honorary Master
Just fitted two new tyres at the local Tiger,Wheel & Tyre. One employee (tyre fitter) not wearing a mask at all. No fcks given.
Aren't those places usually pretty large and open? If so why would they have a big concern with masks?