Why is Rain so slow......

Kiemo

Expert Member
Thanks. I got a call and the guy says the tower I'm connected to is very busy. So the short version is that Rain doesn't have enough bandwidth / infrastructure available. I hopped on my bicycle and went to the second closest tower to connect to it. It's still really slow. It's puzzling that it was better earlier in the week and previous weekends. Surely there aren't that many extra people connecting suddenly to this tower. Looks like I'll have to get fiber to have decent internet speeds.
Keep us posted on which ISP you going with for fibre

kabusi

Expert Member
Thanks. I got a call and the guy says the tower I'm connected to is very busy. So the short version is that Rain doesn't have enough bandwidth / infrastructure available. I hopped on my bicycle and went to the second closest tower to connect to it. It's still really slow. It's puzzling that it was better earlier in the week and previous weekends. Surely there aren't that many extra people connecting suddenly to this tower. Looks like I'll have to get fiber to have decent internet speeds.
I am in the same boat. The Rain reps are incredibly prompt in responding and helpful in terms of executing the options available to them.
The problem is the infrastructure is not sufficient to serve all customers.
There was a constraint due to Covid but there has not been active rollout in populous areas in over a year.
Finally threw in the towel and ordered my fibre installation and the price is even cheaper than Rain.
Rollout is delayed due to the unrest in the KZN region but hopefully only a few more weeks of this frustration and then I am out!

Last edited:

MrJacques

This morning is a lot better. But it's rare that it stays like it for the rest of the day, it usually degrades and gets pretty slow later on, especially in the afternoon. Rain needs more available bandwidth and maybe they do need to do some shaping / throttling to people who abuse the network.

Ping 26ms Download 6.95Mbps Upload 11.74Mbps

mojoman

Every day now from around 5pm the speeds drop to around 1-2 Mbps....
From a steady 10-11Mbps during most of the day.....

Not worth the effort anymore. Cheap data it may be but if you cant even open webpages without thinking you have time travelled to 2001 and now use GPRS then whats the point....

This is what they told me when I said their speeds had dropped big time...

We have made some changes on our end Kindly face your device near a window and reboot your device

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    106.4 KB · Views: 3

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Every day now from around 5pm the speeds drop to around 1-2 Mbps....
From a steady 10-11Mbps during most of the day.....

Not worth the effort anymore. Cheap data it may be but if you cant even open webpages without thinking you have time travelled to 2001 and now use GPRS then whats the point....

This is what they told me when I said their speeds had dropped big time...

We have made some changes on our end Kindly face your device near a window and reboot your device
Hi @mojoman

I have received your PM.

Johanp94

I'm experiencing problems with my 5G standard since 11AM this morning, Called Support they can't help me. restarted the router I even placed to router outside on the roof, they logged a ticked with Network support, apparently the tower is fine in my area.

Normal 5G speeds via rain test site is 100mbs - 180mbs with a ping of 10ms - 15ms. Capped at 30mbs, with a indoor router. Had the router for about 10days with no issues at all.

Since this morning ping got so bad from 777ms - 909ms with download of 1 - 5 mbs on 5G, upload is 0mbs.

I'm working from home so I had to force the router to connect to 4G, the 4G tower is very congested +/- 10mbs and 19ms ping not very good but at least I can attempt to work remotely.

What I don't understand is why am I connecting to a tower that is 1.82km away when I have 2 x 5G towers closer, the support agent told me that my router will connect to the best connection / tower, restarted the router multiple times pointing to the other towers but no luck keeps connecting to the tower that is 1.8km away.

@rain_mobile maybe you can advise?

Attachments

• 5G Speeds with rain 5G indoor router..png
    5G Speeds with rain 5G indoor router..png
    33.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 4G Speeds with rain 5G indoor router. (Force connect to 4G).png
    4G Speeds with rain 5G indoor router. (Force connect to 4G).png
    34.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Tower locations.png
    Tower locations.png
    696.7 KB · Views: 20

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
I'm experiencing problems with my 5G standard since 11AM this morning, Called Support they can't help me. restarted the router I even placed to router outside on the roof, they logged a ticked with Network support, apparently the tower is fine in my area.

Normal 5G speeds via rain test site is 100mbs - 180mbs with a ping of 10ms - 15ms. Capped at 30mbs, with a indoor router. Had the router for about 10days with no issues at all.

Since this morning ping got so bad from 777ms - 909ms with download of 1 - 5 mbs on 5G, upload is 0mbs.

I'm working from home so I had to force the router to connect to 4G, the 4G tower is very congested +/- 10mbs and 19ms ping not very good but at least I can attempt to work remotely.

What I don't understand is why am I connecting to a tower that is 1.82km away when I have 2 x 5G towers closer, the support agent told me that my router will connect to the best connection / tower, restarted the router multiple times pointing to the other towers but no luck keeps connecting to the tower that is 1.8km away.

@rain_mobile maybe you can advise?
HI @Johanp94

Please provide me with your email via PM.

Kambro

Getting less than 1mbps the past few days from +/- 18:00 in the evenings. Used to get 7-8mbps in the past

mojoman

4:30pm
Download:11mbps

7ppm
5.91 for download.

9:30pm
1.24 Donwload

Same story every night now....Come on RAIN...