Why it is dangerous to just throw away old batteries and electronics in South Africa

daveza

Honorary Master
So I must go from Durbanville to Cape Gate to throw away a light bulb :unsure: :rolleyes:

LOM

Honorary Master
Good article but I would have put this in the first para:

• Hand over or sell to an e-waste recycler with a valid operating license but beware of fly-by-nights.
  • Place in dedicated e-waste bins for batteries and light bulbs at retailers such as Woolworths and Pick ‘n Pay.
  • In areas where bylaws are relevant, consumers can drop their e-waste off at designated municipal drop-off points. Visit the eWASA home page or use mywaste.co.za to find a drop-off point.
We are, after all, trying to solve the issue.

nicroets

I have been storing some old nickel cadmium batteries for more than a decade rather than giving them to some fly by night recycler. The website suggests that pick and pay can handle them, but I'm not so sure.

Reactions: LOM

Swa

Honorary Master
Most alkaline batteries no longer contain mercury and can safely be thrown away. Zinc and carbon aren't pollutants.

upup

Executive Member
The Municipality can start doing there job, with people who throw rubbish on the street, getting there landfill sites legal and safe, supply services which is our legal right, then worry about a dead battery. And before worrying about a dead battery worry about your over paid dead mayor.

under_sky

Expert Member
and so is being corrupt or taking money from your country and rape but nothing happens

Oh but wait they will take your smokes

YeaNutz

I put all my electronics, old Hi-Fi's , speakers, cell phone's or what I don't want after a year next to the Bin.
Before the truck arrives, every single item is gone.
Quick and easy, and most of the items still work, they just to old for my linking.

Ive thrown away cheap sound systems in working condition, Water Pumps that I haven't used in ages, old UPS's.
tomorrow I'm throwing away speakers and they wont be going into the truck.

I had security come to me last month to acknowledge I'm giving so much this stuff away, they thought the collector stole it as some things were still sealed. lol

I pay for refuge so stuff the municipality, If I had an E-Bin it would be emptied just like my normal bin.
I'll rather sort it for the pickers.

wbot

Expert Member
I've never seen e-waste baskets at my local PnP, Woolies or any other retailer. You'd think all of them would have one

Swa

Honorary Master
I put all my electronics, old Hi-Fi's , speakers, cell phone's or what I don't want after a year next to the Bin.
Quick and easy, and most of the items still work, they just to old for my linking.

Ive thrown away cheap sound systems in working condition, Water Pumps that I haven't used in ages, old UPS's.

I had security come to me last month to acknowledge I'm giving so much this stuff away, they thought the collector stole it as some things were still sealed. lol

I pay for refuge so stuff the municipality, If I had an E-Bin it would be emptied just like my normal bin.
Same here. There isn't really enough copper to make it worthwhile to try and salvage. Put an old vacuum on the curb and they somehow find a use for the parts. Karcher is underestimating how resourceful people with nothing can be.

Marsie27

I've never seen e-waste baskets at my local PnP, Woolies or any other retailer. You'd think all of them would have one
Woolworths does in Cape Town. We used the bins (just outside the entrance) at our local WW foods branch yesterday to dispose of old batteries and light bulbs. Never seen anything like that at PnP, though.

Ryansr

Expert Member

You know that you cannot continue with this crime spree of throwing out old electrical equipment. Do the right thing and give yourself over to the authorities. Lives are at stake here!

D.B.Cooper

Expert Member
Woolworths does in Cape Town. We used the bins (just outside the entrance) at our local WW foods branch yesterday to dispose of old batteries and light bulbs. Never seen anything like that at PnP, though.
There's one at the N1 City PnP, but they seem to use it for normal garbage. I chuck my old batteries in there (along with the occasional empty printer cartridge) but I suspect they just toss that away with the rest of their garbage. Oh well.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So I must go from Durbanville to Cape Gate to throw away a light bulb :unsure: :rolleyes:
No visit your nearest shopping centre that has a bin. Find out where the nearest point is for disposing of electronic waste, There is one in Brackenfell I know of. The problem is in CT, they expect you to give away the waste. IN GP they buy it for you at a nominal value but at least they buy it from you.

daveza

Honorary Master
No visit your nearest shopping centre that has a bin. Find out where the nearest point is for disposing of electronic waste, There is one in Brackenfell I know of. The problem is in CT, they expect you to give away the waste. IN GP they buy it for you at a nominal value but at least they buy it from you.

According to mywaste.co.za , Cape Gate is the nearest Pick n Pay with a bin.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I have not noticed many battery recycling bins, locally, only one I know of is way, way out by Makro, and I will not be going that far afield just to get rid of some useless batteries, sorry.

If Gummint is serious about this, put disposal bins up at all Super Market chain sites, and service them regularly.

Ooops, Gummint has no idea what service is .... :(