Why it's impossible to have a constructive argument on social media

RedViking

Nord of the South
Twitter on the other hand is a cesspit of arguments.....if you can call it that.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Hamster

Resident Rodent
In phylogenetic terms there is no such thing as a fish, since all land vertebrates (including humans) are descendants of lobe-finned fish:

In fact the QI team have turned that point into the name of a podcast: https://audioboom.com/channel/nosuchthingasafish
That is old news and the bs that it was made the news:

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
I think its because causes or stances are no longer simply supported for having a positive effect , but because everything nowadays is designed and encouraged to ellicit some form of an emotional stance and people become emotionally enamored and blind to anything that upsets their emotions, all of which has replaced the well thought out intellectual approach.

werfie

Expert Member
Without reading the article...

I think it is anonymity and the very little risk of consequences.

When you speak to someone face to face there is (*usually*) a level of manners, socially acceptable behaviour and in some cases intimidating factors such as physical size at play. Then in group settings, there is trying to avoid looking stupid in front of other friends, being a lone voice against a predominant opposite view, etc. I think this, by and large, keeps people in check.

On social media, all of this is gone, so it's a free-for-all.

Magnum

Expert Member
Without reading the article...

I think it is anonymity and the very little risk of consequences.

When you speak to someone face to face there is (*usually*) a level of manners, socially acceptable behaviour and in some cases intimidating factors such as physical size at play. Then in group settings, there is trying to avoid looking stupid in front of other friends, being a lone voice against a predominant opposite view, etc. I think this, by and large, keeps people in check.

On social media, all of this is gone, so it's a free-for-all.
Incorrect.

The structure of the very forum we use make it impossible to have a constructive conversation. In life we chose the circles we commune in including similar intellectuals and excluding dissimilar ones.

On Mybb anyone can join. There is an Afrikaans saying "Kots in 'n tuimeldroër" that is very applicable here as anyone can join and post any junk they want.

On strict technical Forums the conversation are much more Structured and more subject orientated because of similar intellectuals wanting to grow in the same field, Even though there is full anonymity on those as well.

In short, The persons on the Forum guide and shape the Forum and that is what it is known as, Once this is done it is cemented and cannot be changed.