Why Johannesburg buildings need gardens on their roofs

sandwitch

Some of the best and most interesting coffee shops and restaurants I've been to have been on rooftops.

I def. think it's underutilised space.

Happy Days

The problem lies with the National Building regulations, which are still stuck in the dark ages when it comes to alternative building methods and insulation requirements.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
The problem lies with the National Building regulations, which are still stuck in the dark ages when it comes to alternative building methods and insulation requirements.
Apparently building with whatever you can find in terms of corrugated sheeting in wetland area's, or in fact any old space you feel like in Cape Town is perfectly fine though.

grok

Honorary Master
Is Chicago really a city that should be held up as example? I thought it was going pretty badly there atm.

justplain

Expert Member
I am all for this. Helps with air quality, even if it's a minute difference, looks better, breaks up the concrete jungle eye line and encourages local bird life/insects etc and adds a great place to break away from the office briefly.
Plus potentially creates some employment opportunities to maintain these gardens too.

Happy Days

Apparently building with whatever you can find in terms of corrugated sheeting in wetland area's, or in fact any old space you feel like in Cape Town is perfectly fine though.
Ja, but that's unregulated. From a formal POV, the NBR should move with the times. When you look at the thousands of containers just standing there in Salt River and Paardeneiland, and how those could easily be converted into housing, you realise that there are lots of wasted opportunities.