Why multiple fibre networks are not in the same areas

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Can a real normal neighbourhood really have an exclusivity agreement with a infrastructure installer?

And also, there are stories about 3 network installing in the same area, while the area next door has nothing, what's up with that? Can the installers tell us why?

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
That comment from Rob about multiple ISPs sounds like it was pointing directly to Buh-Rein.
The estate had fibre through a private supplier who was unreliable, crap speed and expensive. Octotel came in and saved the day.

j4ck455

Executive Member
In 2017, Cybersmart founder Laurie Fialkov stated that fibre users must beware of the evils of open-access fibre, of which a lack of competition on infrastructure was highlighted.
It sounds a lot like Fialkov was referring to Vumatel.

In my area I had a FTTH choice between Vumatel and Openserve when I decided to ditch ADSL, and I decided to go with Vumatel because Vumatel punted itself as open access, later I discovered that to be Vumatel propaganda.

#VumatelR999FU

Fialkov said fibre network providers often sign exclusivity agreements with landlords or neighbourhoods, and this creates a scenario where the network is open-access and any ISP can offer services over it, but there is a monopoly on the infrastructure.
Exclusivity agreements are anti-competitive and should be illegal, maybe they are already illegal.

system32

Expert Member
Does anyone know what the unsubsidised cost is for a fibre build in a suburb?

I read it's ~R700/m when you include cost of wayleaves, trenching, manholes, conduits, network equipment, CPE, backhaul, POP, etc.

It's a huge investment, which requires enough subscribers to make it financially viable.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
That comment from Rob about multiple ISPs sounds like it was pointing directly to Buh-Rein.
The estate had fibre through a private supplier who was unreliable, crap speed and expensive. Octotel came in and saved the day.
Exactly what I thought.

Amobia was and is still schit (I no longer live there, but still belong to the Buh-rein Estate Facebook group and those complexes with no lit Octotel fibre yet are still complaining).

deweyzeph

Executive Member
There are lots of areas in Cape town that have multiple fibre networks. Vumatel, Octotel and Openserve overlap each other.

Swa

Honorary Master
It sounds a lot like Fialkov was referring to Vumatel.

In my area I had a FTTH choice between Vumatel and Openserve when I decided to ditch ADSL, and I decided to go with Vumatel because Vumatel punted itself as open access, later I discovered that to be Vumatel propaganda.

#VumatelR999FU

Exclusivity agreements are anti-competitive and should be illegal, maybe they are already illegal.
Exactly this. I have no choice but Vumatel. People don't seem to realise you are better off without fibre than to have an uncompetitive provider as it will hamper you for years down the line.

Does anyone know what the unsubsidised cost is for a fibre build in a suburb?

I read it's ~R700/m when you include cost of wayleaves, trenching, manholes, conduits, network equipment, CPE, backhaul, POP, etc.

It's a huge investment, which requires enough subscribers to make it financially viable.
Those costs have been majorly exaggerated as a lot of it is refundable.

How is Vumatel not Open Access?
Depends how you define "open access".

deweyzeph

Executive Member
There seems to be some confusion about the difference between Layer 1 and Layer 2 open access. Layer 1 open access means different fibre networks can use the same physical fibre to provide fibre services. Layer 2 open access means different ISP's can provide data services over the same fibre provider's network. Vumatel is a layer 2 open access network but not a layer 1 open access network.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The vast majority of places with fibre have multiple providers. The providers all target the same areas

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
We have OpenServe and SA Digital Villages in our Area (Brackenhurst, Alberton), but SADV are a dead loss their network is useless and OpenServe are the stable option.

konfab

Honorary Master
Exactly this. I have no choice but Vumatel. People don't seem to realise you are better off without fibre than to have an uncompetitive provider as it will hamper you for years down the line.
Wut?
Nothing is stopping you from ditching fibre and getting ADSL or LTE

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
An open-access network (OAN) refers to a horizontally layered network architecture in telecommunications, and the business model that separates the physical access to the network from the delivery of services. In an OAN, the owner or manager of the network does not supply services for the network; these services must be supplied by separate retail service providers. There are two different open-access network models: the two- and three-layer models.

The standard FTTH open access definition covers Vumatel to a tee.

system32

Expert Member
Those costs have been majorly exaggerated as a lot of it is refundable.
Refundable by who?
According to "How much FTTH really costs to roll out" MyBB article,
Vumatel says it costs ~R700.
DFA says it costs ~R350/m to ~R500/m.
In our small suburb, there are 28km of trenching (both sides) which works out between R9.8m to R19.6m
Takes a long time to recover those sunk costs.

j4ck455

Executive Member
How is Vumatel not Open Access?
For the simple reason that Vumatel extorts R999 (probably more now after the VAT increase) if the subscriber is arrogant enough to want to switch to a different FTTH ISP on the same pre-existing and already installed FTTH line, that is the opposite of Open Access on any level.

Reactions: Swa