Why new and secondhand car prices in South Africa are shooting through the roof

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Car prices in South Africa going through the roof

Have you been on AutoTrader lately? If not, you may be surprised to find that South Africa’s already stratospheric car prices are even higher.

This phenomenon isn’t exclusive to South Africa, though. Across the world, car prices have soared due to a shortage of semiconductor chips.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
It is absolutely crazy, yes I have noticed in the last few months it has skyrocketed
The planet has lost it
Everyone is cuckoo
Stupid Covid

PhireSide

Honorary Master

Sapphiron

Expert Member
It is absolutely crazy, yes I have noticed in the last few months it has skyrocketed
The planet has lost it
Everyone is cuckoo
Stupid Covid
It started before Covid I think.

Cost of living and market fluctuations were already going crazy before Covid hit.

Covid just added more fuel to the fire

Gudnews

Expert Member

I'll take one of these for under 100 grand. Might add a bit extra for a decent aftermarket warranty, that being said...
The second hand market is teeming with seemingly great deals. Some late 2000s Mercs I grew up admiring for under 300K. And those things are built to last I believe.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
It started before Covid I think.

Cost of living and market fluctuations were already going crazy before Covid hit.

Covid just added more fuel to the fire
really?
i never noticed it much last year
but this year is madness, especially last 5 or 6 months
at first i thought people were joking until i googled it myself
about 2 months ago someone came to look at a flat for sale in our complex, i saw the printed broshure saying price was R1.1 mill.
I laughed out loud and told the Oke never in a million years, maybe R800k tops and he left
But then i went and googled and was horrified at how much houses are going for
And they cannot blame chip shortage here
So i have no idea what is going on
the world has gone bonkers

PhireSide

Honorary Master
The second hand market is teeming with seemingly great deals.
And also some bad ones. The scarce cars are very well priced - and there's nothing wrong with most of them, they just aren't desireable.

I have no qualm with driving a Peugeot 308 or an Alfa Guilietta or a B-class - as long as I can get parts for them, alles is gut.

Gudnews

Expert Member
And also some bad ones. The scarce cars are very well priced - and there's nothing wrong with most of them, they just aren't desireable.

I have no qualm with driving a Peugeot 308 or an Alfa Guilietta or a B-class - as long as I can get parts for them, alles is gut.
I don't have a problem on the desire side, I salivate on Auto Trader at times.

I'm the kind of fellow who'd strongly consider this:

Over this:

PhireSide

Honorary Master
The second hand market is teeming with seemingly great deals. Some late 2000s Mercs I grew up admiring for under 300K. And those things are built to last I believe.
Give me a W202 any day of the week! I loved those boxy sedans, especially in turbodiesel guise with the OM605. Some of them have been tweaked to put out well over 400bhp

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Not just South Africa, I watch a few American Youtubers (Hoovies Garage) and their prices for used cars have skyrocketed!

Mekon

Expert Member
really?
i never noticed it much last year
but this year is madness, especially last 5 or 6 months
at first i thought people were joking until i googled it myself
about 2 months ago someone came to look at a flat for sale in our complex, i saw the printed broshure saying price was R1.1 mill.
I laughed out loud and told the Oke never in a million years, maybe R800k tops and he left
But then i went and googled and was horrified at how much houses are going for
And they cannot blame chip shortage here
So i have no idea what is going on
the world has gone bonkers
Bru, 1 bed, 1 bathroom "apartments" are going for R795000 in Boksburg