Why new and secondhand car prices in South Africa are shooting through the roof

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

PhireSide

Honorary Master
If he had not been a numpty and bought the previous generation model a few months earlier, his R450k might be less retarded.... still over the odds, but not by R400k.
This part is the worst:
Everything on this car is original including the tyres it came with from the factory.
Yeah, no way I am putting my faith into tyres that are nearly as old as I am. Don't tyres have a usable life of ten years, under very ideal conditions?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This part is the worst:

Yeah, no way I am putting my faith into tyres that are nearly as old as I am. Don't tyres have a usable life of ten years, under very ideal conditions?

Very much so....

Those tyres were trashed by around 2000 in all honesty.

Also the exterior plastic looks weathered as well, which isn't a great indicator of this "metikulous" care as claimed.

**EDIT** There is also accident damage on the vehicle from what I can see in the rear quarter photo...

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Very much so....

Also the exterior plastic looks weathered as well, which isn't a great indicator of this "metikulous" care as claimed.
The coolant bottle looks great though. :ROFL: That's my yardstick on measuring service history.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Very much so....

Especially for a car that has such low mileage. Cars that stand for long periods of time usually have rubber bits that go brittle. I'd imagine that the car would need shock absorbers, bushings, tie rod ends and engine gaskets before long, especially if the next owner intends on using it as a daily.

Divorced from reality, that guy is.

MeestaR

Expert Member
I'm sorry, but new cars that were the basic of the basic, their prices have creeped up for a few years now...
Second-hand cars too... Looking at new basic cars like the Renault Kwid, retails for R167K, for the basic model... I could have sworn it was cheaper than that a few years ago.
I thought Covid would see many car sales, because many people were working from home did not want a expensive car in the garage that is not driven, others sold theirs for a income (maybe lost their job, now sold that expensive car/bakkie for a bit of cash to make it through.)

Covid nearly killed some of us, in terms of jobs, lives, etc.

Last edited:

Aghori

Honorary Master
Bru, 1 bed, 1 bathroom "apartments" are going for R795000 in Boksburg

Cocksburg is a hectic place. Wouldn't want to go back there, although there are a lot of hot Afrikaner chicks looking for sugar daddys.

Meister-Man

Expert Member
There were actually some bargains a couple months after covid first hit.
The rental companies were taking a beating and offloading stock.
Since then, prices have just climbed and climbed.

Brenden_E

Executive Member

I'll take one of these for under 100 grand. Might add a bit extra for a decent aftermarket warranty, that being said...
It's got that special discount because you'll be pushing it next to the road more than driving it.