Why people pirate in South Africa

zippy

Honorary Master
:) Rubbish. Its always about the money. Never trust the dude who says its not about the money :)

VegOtter

yeah, I wouldn't call it convenient, much less easy. Netflix is easy and convenient. Problem is that you have to wait for entire season to finish. Then there is also the content restrictions. If they can fix those issues, then piracy will die.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I pay for US Netflix
I pay for DSTV Premium with PVR
I choose to download airing seasons and let Plex keep track of what I have or have not watched.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
It is interesting to note that around 50% of people who pirate online regularly buy movies and games.

I find this hard to believe. Unless one movie a year as a gift counts :p

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
yeah, I wouldn't call it convenient, much less easy. Netflix is easy and convenient. Problem is that you have to wait for entire season to finish. Then there is also the content restrictions. If they can fix those issues, then piracy will die.

Why not? Visit a torrent/streaming site, type in the name of the series you want, open the search result and click download. Done.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
One of the main things still holding some people back from switching to a full time streaming service is bandwidth and the cost of "daytime" data. ISP's need increase the size their data bundles (especially on FTTH).

Unless you are an insomniac that sits watching your shows between midnight and 7am :wtf:

JStrike

Honorary Master
The difference being? Netflix set up the entire thing etc. then open it, type in the series you want and select/play it. Pretty much the same.

Set up? That's done once.
And it's open on your TV all the time. Just speak the name of what you want to watch, and click play.
Easier

JStrike

Honorary Master
It's easier than physically renting or buying a dvd/cd; or buying the same product online and waiting several days for delivery.

DVD? I haven't had a DVD player in over a decade. Why are we comparing pirating to DVD's.
Compare it to iTunes, Netflix, ShowMax

Skerminkel

Expert Member
:) Rubbish. Its always about the money. Never trust the dude who says its not about the money :)

Convenience has a monetary value, so in that sense you are right. Basically I have decided it is not worth the effort and time for me to drive to a DVD store to rent something I want to see. In many cases they might not even have it and the SD quality is poor. The R(whatever) rental fee is a minor consideration.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Convenience has a monetary value, so in that sense you are right. Basically I have decided it is not worth the effort and time for me to drive to a DVD store to rent something I want to see. In many cases they might not even have it and the SD quality is poor. The R(whatever) rental fee is a minor consideration.

Then why don't you rent it off iTunes?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Set up? That's done once.
And it's open on your TV all the time. Just speak the name of what you want to watch, and click play.
Easier

So pirate version:
open the website <= open all the time if you want to.
search it
select download

Pretty much the same, except there is more content selection with the piracy option. Do note I watch stuff on my laptop/tablet, rarely on the TV.

I don't know where you get your "piracy is so much more difficult" opinion. Piracy is popular because it is easy (and free for those who can't/don't want to pay).

EDIT:
And I wouldn't want to touch iTunes, terrible piece of garbage. I installed it once back on iOS6 for my iPad, since then I have never synced it and have no wish to ever do so, just update over the air.

orin76

Expert Member
DVD? I haven't had a DVD player in over a decade. Why are we comparing pirating to DVD's.
Compare it to iTunes, Netflix, ShowMax
I also haven't purchased or rented dvds in ages, but I've had broadband for many years now (unlike most middle class south Africans). I only started using Netflix when it became available in SA and most people I know personally are the same. We often forget on this forum that our norm is not always representative of the greater middle class population.