Why people pirate in South Africa

JStrike

Honorary Master
So pirate version:
open the website <= open all the time if you want to.
search it
select download

You forgot some steps

search it
select download
Wait for download
Open file
Turn on TV
AirPlay or something the video to your TV

vs

Turn on TV
Say the movie's name you want to watch
Click play

Convenience isn't a factor for pirating. Being cheap is

JStrike

Honorary Master
I also haven't purchased or rented dvds in ages, but I've had broadband for many years now (unlike most middle class south Africans). I only started using Netflix when it became available in SA and most people I know personally are the same. We often forget on this forum that our norm is not always representative of the greater middle class population.

True

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Then why don't you rent it off iTunes?

I don't operate in fruit world. I did sign up with Netflix when they launched here. Working well, but eating my daytime data. When the choice gets a bit bigger I might use them (or similar) exclusively.

Last edited:

cupcake

Expert Member
Right. So 54% of people didn't wan to admit they were cheap

I spend way more on a high speed line and data to stream online than I would on DSTV so its not nessasarily the cheaper option.

butters89

Completely besides the point, but has anyone here had any issues with customs recently? I have a package sitting with them for over a month already, and still haven't received it

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
You forgot some steps

search it
select download
Wait for download
Open file
Turn on TV

vs

Turn on TV
Click play

Some of us have the mental capacity to plan more than 30 seconds in advance. I go to my TV, click, click, click, and watch something from my vast library. Works every time, weeks before you're able to watch the same show, and whether the internet's working or not. Oh and I'm cheap. Only a poser would be ashamed to say that out loud.

KikzAzz

You forgot some steps

search it
select download
Wait for download
Open file
Turn on TV

vs

Turn on TV
Click play

You go boy!

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
You forgot some steps

search it
select download
Wait for download
Open file
Turn on TV

vs

Turn on TV
Click play

Okay, at the point of open file you're done if it's on a laptop/pc.
If it's on a TV, the turn on TV applies to you as well.
Also, you can watch the movie while it is downloading. Always depends on what you are downloading.

Look at things like popcorn time. And you forgot to mention the 100 times you struggle to say the name of the movie you want to watch.

noxibox

Honorary Master
DVD? I haven't had a DVD player in over a decade. Why are we comparing pirating to DVD's.
Because probably the majority of people still use DVDs.

One of the main things still holding some people back from switching to a full time streaming service is bandwidth and the cost of "daytime" data. ISP's need increase the size their data bundles (especially on FTTH).
The speed must be a major factor for many South Africans too. What percentage can actually get the speed needed for high definition? If they can choose standard definition streamed or high definition with a tiny bit of planning and patience which would they pick?

Turn on TV
Click play
I'm sure for many South Africans the next step will be watch it stutter or switch down to lower image quality.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
You forgot some steps

search it
select download
Wait for download

Open file
Turn on TV

vs

Turn on TV
Click play

Sickbeard, Sonarr or Couchpotato would do all those steps for you while you were not home :)

I turn on my TV and Plex shows me the latest files added - click play.

redarrow

Expert Member
Streaming might be convenient if you have internet that is reasonably reliable and fast enough to stream without hiccups, not everyone is that fortunate.
Personally another huge problem I have with streaming is that I travel loads for work, I spend about 4-5 months a year away from home, I just don't see how steaming is gonna work for me, luckily a laptop with preloaded stuff works just fine. :p

Pada

Executive Member
What about caching/pre-loading HD content during early morning hours ... when cap is also cheap.

Like when I come home, I'm not the only person who wants to use the Internet. Steaming videos while others are trying to play games simply does not work for me.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Yeah, costs are going to play a huge role now.

Yep. Got an email from DSTV today offering a locked-in price of R899.00 for DSTV Premium over the next 2 years...I imagine we are going to get reamed even more with increases for the foreseeable future.