Why people pirate in South Africa

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yep. Got an email from DSTV today offering a locked-in price of R899.00 for DSTV Premium over the next 2 years...I imagine we are going to get reamed even more with increases for the foreseeable future.

Could you post a copy of that e-mail here or PM it to me?

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Brilliant one-liner news article "The majority of South Africans pirate because it is convenient, rather than to save money". The bar is set so high.

SZN

Expert Member
You forgot some steps

open the website <= open all the time if you want to.
search it
select download
Wait for download
Open file
Turn on TV
AirPlay or something the video to your TV

vs

Turn on TV
Say the movie's name you want to watch
Click play

Convenience isn't a factor for pirating. Being cheap is

Pirating is really much easier, if you know how.

For eg, one can set up Sonarr/Sickbeard to automatically download all your series for you. Then Plex handles everything after that.

So really it becomes:
Turn on TV
Choose what you want
Click play

And not to mention its stored locally so you don't have to sorry about your internet connection being iffy or a problem with than international cable.

Seriously, piracy is crazy easy.

Because I can still watch when Telkom or Seacom decide that they'd rather not supply internet anymore. Tried the streaming thing, not a fan as when things go wonky it's a nightmare. Also the quality is often dreadful.

I'll stick to my 20gig DTS-MA downloads thank you!

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Sickbeard, Sonarr or Couchpotato would do all those steps for you while you were not home :)

I turn on my TV and Plex shows me the latest files added - click play.

Pirating is really much easier, if you know how.

For eg, one can set up Sonarr/Sickbeard to automatically download all your series for you. Then Plex handles everything after that.

So really it becomes:
Turn on TV
Choose what you want
Click play

And not to mention its stored locally so you don't have to sorry about your internet connection being iffy or a problem with than international cable.

Seriously, piracy is crazy easy.

This mofo pirated my post...takedown notice issued.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I'll stick to my 10bit HEVC H265 HE-AAC downloads thank you very much until Google comes out with a streaming service at IO that uses VP9 or Showmax can stream at 1080p.

Last edited:

chewiesw

Expert Member
I think it all boils down to there being no real competition in SA, you want sport you have to go with DSTV. Naked ADSL is nonexistant. ISP don't seriously compete against each other.Free to air tv and radio is rubbish. So it ends up with the "user' paying and paying, so anythng free is a bonus so is having a choice.

daveza

Honorary Master
Got an email from DSTV today offering a locked-in price of R899.00 for DSTV Premium

It's now NINE HUNDRED RAND for dstv ?!!

And they still ask why people 'evaluate' ?

chewiesw

Expert Member
Could you post a copy of that e-mail here or PM it to me?

The basic's of it.

New Year's resolution to watch the best entertainment in the best way by getting a DStv Explora. Get to enjoy all the extra features that a connected DStv Explora can give you, such as DStv Catch Up and Remote Record, while saving through DStv Price Lock. Get a DStv Explora, free delivery and installation as well as your current DStv Premium subscription for just R899* per month for 24 months, with no price increase for 24 months.

SMS 'Price Lock' to 36265 and an agent will contact you

Standard SMS rates apply

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Completely besides the point, but has anyone here had any issues with customs recently? I have a package sitting with them for over a month already, and still haven't received it

You are right. Completely besides the point.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
The survey was completed by 2,385 IT professionals and tech-savvy South African broadband users.

pfffft .... who these so called people ...... oh, that would be me ...

as you were.

kianm

Honorary Master
Because I can still watch when Telkom or Seacom decide that they'd rather not supply internet anymore. Tried the streaming thing, not a fan as when things go wonky it's a nightmare. Also the quality is often dreadful.

We found that Hog :p

Gnarls

Expert Member
^lol, bluray rips more like it. :p

This.

Also, aside from cost, you have so much more choice.

Convenience isn't a factor for pirating. Being cheap is

How's having to switch your location to play whack-a-vpn with Netflix more convenient than just downloading what you want, in the quality you want and watching it whenever? Terabytes is cheap.

Last edited:

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Streaming is more convenient for me, obviously I don't always have an internet connection but when I do, I prefer to stream.

Brentontw

Basically people with more than three braincells and the ability to figure out how torrenting actually works and do the once off setup agree that piracy is more convenient (and cheaper sure) and those how are still using windows xp but paying R900 p/m for a service of which they most likely use 5 channels and then add their netflix/showmax subscription fees onto that (don't forget their FTTH connection) agree that streaming is the answer...