Why so many negative stories about Huawei all across Africa?

Ourwei

News articles in Africa (including South Africa) often make Huawei look bad.

The typical cycle:
1. New corruption story appears
2. Follow up articles give updates on the developments
3. If the result is bad for Huawei, the stories are repeated for several weeks. On the other hand, if the case is dropped or Huawei wins, there may be no mention of that at all.

This is of interest to me because, personally, I like Huawei. I follow Huawei stories in the news, and noticed that many in Africa are negative.

Do you think that Huawei operations in Africa are that different from their operations in Europe and Asia? If yes, please explain. Thank you.

Last edited:

dj_jyno

Expert Member
Off the top of my head

1) Installed rootkits on some of their phones from the factory
2) Left router software vulnerabilities wide open that were patched by Cisco four years ago (they basically copied the Cisco IOS software and used it as-is)

As you can see, none of the bad publicity directed at Huawei is unwarranted.

skimread

Executive Member
Those stories don't influence me. Huawei make decent phones with decent specs. However that UI is just atrocious.
It looks childish. Give me vanilla and I will consider them for my next phone.

Ourwei

Do they have company representative on MyBB?
I don't care.
Well, I definitely cannot claim to be a representative of Huawei, I just follow Huawei news stories and then comment on them. Disclaimer: I worked for Huawei in the past.

I'm gathering material that I'll use in a video about Huawei's negative reputation in South Africa. My aim will be to provide a counter-point so that viewers can hear two sides of the story and decide for themselves. That's the whole idea behind my youtube channel.
[video]https://youtu.be/aeAQpDHMNGE[/video]

skimread

Executive Member
Well, I definitely cannot claim to be a representative of Huawei, I just follow Huawei news stories and then comment on them. Disclaimer: I worked for Huawei in the past.

I'm gathering material that I'll use in a video about Huawei's negative reputation in South Africa. My aim will be to provide a counter-point so that viewers can hear two sides of the story and decide for themselves. That's the whole idea behind my youtube channel.
[video]https://youtu.be/aeAQpDHMNGE[/video]
what's your opinion about the awful UI. Do you see my comment as fair?
When not just bring out vanilla Android versions of their phones for the international market?

sajunky

Honorary Master
It is our fault, as we want cheaper and cheaper. Their recent 3G/LTE routers cost around R2k but don't allow to set custom DNS servers. These cuts are intentional, it helps redirecting traffic. I had constant problem with bugged DNS server on B683 which stops working, passing only the cached entries. It is probably introduced in the result of'modifications' to the standard protocol stack purchased or stolen from others, I don't know.

Last edited:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Off the top of my head

1) Installed rootkits on some of their phones from the factory
2) Left router software vulnerabilities wide open that were patched by Cisco four years ago (they basically copied the Cisco IOS software and used it as-is)

As you can see, none of the bad publicity directed at Huawei is unwarranted.
Any links for the router vulnerabilities? An mpls provider was trying to push them on us instead of ciscos and we said no, would like some evidence to assist.