Why South Africa’s petrol stations are struggling – despite record high fuel prices

Vorastra

Executive Member
Get rid of the pump jockeys and automate pumps and payment. The world pumps their own gas, fills their own tyres and clean their own windscreens. No need for these guys.
Could you imagine self-service petrol stations in South Africa.

50cent-laughing.gif

Vorastra

Executive Member
Pay before you pour...
How would the amount of petrol be controlled?

That'd require forcing customers to use a credit card or a smart petrol pump system controlled by a person inside.

Meanwhile in my part of Europe, you pour and then walk in and pay.

Corelli

Expert Member
Get rid of the pump jockeys and automate pumps and payment. The world pumps their own gas, fills their own tyres and clean their own windscreens. No need for these guys.
We call that electric cars, where you can do it at home, or well anywhere else. When that gets kicked off. Just Imagine

1. No more worries about Petrol price increases
2. No more petrol attendants
3. No more Fuel Levy
4. No more Road accident fund
5. No more Pollution
6. Cape Town city will have clear skies and lots of pretty nature to see
7. Oh and a lot less road noise
8. Let alone dust blowing in everywhere if youre near the highway

Now I am amazed the Western Cape Government isnt doing more to encourage this. ie Electric busses etc.

Corelli

Expert Member

That'd require forcing customers to use a credit card or a smart petrol pump system controlled by a person inside.

They can already do this with the new self service shopping. You swipe your card on entrance, pour and then it debits your card afterwards. Ie you can set it from activate when you open to deactivate once complete and then put the bill through. It can give you a limit as to what you can fill looking at the balance of your card, so if little money it would only allow little. if no money, it would decline at the start.

Not really complex programming needed for this.

Vorastra

Executive Member
They can already do this with the new self service shopping. You swipe your card on entrance, pour and then it debits your card afterwards. Ie you can set it from activate when you open to deactivate once complete and then put the bill through. It can give you a limit as to what you can fill looking at the balance of your card, so if little money it would only allow little. if no money, it would decline at the start.

Not really complex programming needed for this.
Perfect. Let's do self-service shopping in South Africa right now.

haha-you.gif

RonSwanson

Executive Member

50cent-laughing.gif
Yes, it's the reason why Burger King now also requires human control over their unlimited Pespi refills. Simple to implement a prepaid system though.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
We call that electric cars, where you can do it at home, or well anywhere else. When that gets kicked off. Just Imagine

1. No more worries about Petrol price increases
2. No more petrol attendants
3. No more Fuel Levy
4. No more Road accident fund
5. No more Pollution
6. Cape Town city will have clear skies and lots of pretty nature to see
7. Oh and a lot less road noise
8. Let alone dust blowing in everywhere if youre near the highway

Now I am amazed the Western Cape Government isnt doing more to encourage this. ie Electric busses etc.

Where will all of the electricity to charge these cars come from?

Broo

No more plane trips, or will they be solar powered as well?

airborne

Honorary Master

Most pumps support presetting the required volume or rand amount with auto pump cutoff and are directly linked to the retail sides pos system.
It wouldn't take much to implement prepaid petrol and self service.

Whether it's feasible in Sa is another story.

dsi

Around a third of the fuel price is taxes, maybe that's the problem.

krycor

Honorary Master

50cent-laughing.gif

I’m more concerned for H&S vs people pouring their own.

Most motorists in SA should not be allowed to have a scissors let alone drive a car.. and now we letting them pour fuel.. i bet some will do it while smoking if left unchecked.

In the short term though, I don’t see this changing costs as you would still need to employ staff to offer assistance or help idiots transition.

Ps. Most service stations make the bulk of money in the convenience store kinda like restaurants in SA make money on alcohol sales.

Most pumps support presetting the required volume or rand amount with auto pump cutoff and are directly linked to the retail sides pos system.
It wouldn't take much to implement prepaid petrol and self service.

Whether it's feasible in Sa is another story.

This has been the case for almost 2 decades.. I’d say there is no technological barrier at all.