Why South Africa needs high-speed fibre – Vumatel CEO

Iamnotageek

Expert Member
Looking at the picture of him I always remember to suck in my stomach when people take pics of me.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Vumatel promised us a pilot low-cost fibre project in Alex, to be announced March 2018. Many were curious as to how this seemingly-impossible project (which was going to be 'profitable') would be achieved. We wait with anticipation ...

I've look at a lot of projects myself and seen and done costings on many too. I have ideas on how to cut costs, but was hoping Vumatel had a better approach.

Swa

Honorary Master
So what is Vumatel doing? Instead they foster uncompetitive practices with their reconnection fee.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
What are Cool Ideas and Octotel doing? Oh wait selling snake oil

phex

Fibre companies should do a feasibility study in Mafikeng. No one is offering fibre lines here.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Nor here
I have been given a tiny peep inside the -- optic curtain of illusion
ALL is not well -- in the state of fibre in SA

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Nor here
I have been given a tiny peep inside the -- optic curtain of illusion
ALL is not well -- in the state of fibre in SA
No its not... as per usual, its all about making a quick buck. The cowboy lifestyle that South African businesspeople like to indulge in. Skroef die dom publiek want hulle is gewoond aan 'n hout piel by die hol op, soos daai dae van BJ Vorster, en PW Botha.

For example:
Here's a new thing/tech/doohickey, lets get in first and rape the public as they fall over themselves in a mad rush. By the time they realise we sold them kak we are already retired on that beach sipping Pina Colada with many others, Ah look, there's Gian Visser, and Shaun Kaplan... so many familiar faces on this beach of money and gold.

They do it with everything...
* Solar geysers
* Solar Power
* VoIP and business products
and even paint and beds.

Reactions: Swa

EADC

Expert Member
No its not... as per usual, its all about making a quick buck. The cowboy lifestyle that South African businesspeople like to indulge in. Skroef die dom publiek want hulle is gewoond aan 'n hout piel by die hol op, soos daai dae van BJ Vorster, en PW Botha.

For example:
Here's a new thing/tech/doohickey, lets get in first and rape the public as they fall over themselves in a mad rush. By the time they realise we sold them kak we are already retired on that beach sipping Pina Colada with many others, Ah look, there's Gian Visser, and Shaun Kaplan... so many familiar faces on this beach of money and gold.

They do it with everything...
* Solar geysers
* Solar Power
* VoIP and business products
and even paint and beds.
Just because you had bad experience now the whole industry is garbage?

My fibre never stops working and is comparable to what I have used in Europe.

Ok I lie it stopped twice in 2 years.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member

The whole industry is dirty, but not all of them are crap. The issue is I don't live in fancy places where the good FISPs are rolling out. Sorry but I cannot afford to live in those areas.

Swa

Honorary Master

He is correct. Do a comparison of the line you have here to the one in Europe. What Dietlof doesn't mention is that the price in other parts of the world is so dirt cheap that you don't need anything other than a one size fits all solution. Here you get the bare minimum but pay a premium so until this mindset changes we won't see anything different. What is needed is a provider offering 100mbps for R300.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
He is correct. Do a comparison of the line you have here to the one in Europe. What Dietlof doesn't mention is that the price in other parts of the world is so dirt cheap that you don't need anything other than a one size fits all solution. Here you get the bare minimum but pay a premium so until this mindset changes we won't see anything different. What is needed is a provider offering 100mbps for R300.
It isn't that cheap generally: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=33&region=150&displayCurrency=ZAR
And those that are generally have a way higher general income or density.

Prices are at least coming down in South Africa generally. Paying less now for 100Mbps than I did for 4Mbps about 7 years ago.

Swa

Honorary Master
It isn't that cheap generally: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=33&region=150&displayCurrency=ZAR
And those that are generally have a way higher general income or density.

Prices are at least coming down in South Africa generally. Paying less now for 100Mbps than I did for 4Mbps about 7 years ago.
That's for 60mbps and over. Sure pricing has come down but the barrier to entry typically hasn't. We need to stop with this mindset that 4 or 10 mbps is somehow acceptable for fibre. What's also not stated is that South Africa typically has a higher population density than most countries if you remove the empty land that doesn't need to be serviced so we are in a better position to provide it for even cheaper.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That's for 60mbps and over. Sure pricing has come down but the barrier to entry typically hasn't. We need to stop with this mindset that 4 or 10 mbps is somehow acceptable for fibre. What's also not stated is that South Africa typically has a higher population density than most countries if you remove the empty land that doesn't need to be serviced so we are in a better position to provide it for even cheaper.
Cape Town is part of the City of Cape Town metropolitan municipality, approximately 400 square kilomters in area with a population density of 1,530 people per square kilometer.
http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/cape-town-population/
Though that is probably quite a bit higher due to townships, which are not areas where you would roll out fiber.

Most capitals of Europe beat us.
The cheaper places will usually be e.g. Sofia, think that is at ~1000 marker. Again, no township there and pretty much every single house will pick fiber, plus cheap labor with a generally well educated population.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
The whole industry is dirty, but not all of them are crap.
Spoken like a true uninformed consumer.

You should be bitching about Telkom and ICASA preventing competition for years on DSL which is why we don't have first world rates, not the saving grace of South African telecoms which is open access fibre operators. Overseas they had fibre on BPON and proper VDSL/cable, we missed that and only now are deploying GPON fibre en masse.

Over the last few years the fibre industry has made huge leaps in terms of coverage and pricing due to competition mainly from the private sector and the industry you are accusing of being dirty. ICASA is pretty much useless if you ask me, they're the ones you should be calling useless - eg. did they ever finalise LLU or naked DSL?