Why South Africans still use torrents

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Why South Africans still use torrents

The growth of streaming services in South Africa has significantly reduced reliance on illegal copies of media, with many local viewers being happy to pay a small monthly fee for access to platforms like Netflix and Showmax.

“Netflix definitely played a vital part in changing user behaviour," RSAWEB recently told MyBroadband.

Unreal

I just wonder when Netflix will remove these global restrictions. I tried Netflix with VPN once, and thereafter I couldn’t go back to accepting only what is available locally. I can't use vpn with my Apple router so now I'm an unsatisfied Netflix customer. I'm trying to do the right thing here but popcorn time has no restrictions. Just saying

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I just wonder when Netflix will remove these global restrictions. I tried Netflix with VPN once, and thereafter I couldn’t go back to accepting only what is available locally. I can't use vpn with my Apple router so now I'm an unsatisfied Netflix customer. I'm trying to do the right thing here but popcorn time has no restrictions. Just saying
There's your problem ;)

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
If you use a VPN with Netflix you're still making a copy of the media without the permission of the rights holder.
This whole thing of "making a copy" when streaming or downloading was nothing else but a scare tactic which started with the now defunct SAFACT.

SAFACT did indeed try to play this tactic at various commercial crime courts, as well as normal courts, but they never succeeded in getting any such case docket on the court role. Neither did they ever succeed to prosecute any South African civilly as well.

Only sharing or distributing this content is illegal. Possessing, downloading, streaming from anywhere in the world is not illegal. Not even according to the Copyright Act. But, that being said, years ago SAFACT also lobbied to have the Copyright act changed to include downloading and streaming as illegal. They failed in this too.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So? Use a smart DNS service.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
we had hulu after we got a vpn. enjoyed it much more than netflix, because it actually had shows we like to watch. but then they also started cracking down on vpn users. if they don't allow us to pay for their services, then what must we do? region restriction is nonsense.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
we had hulu after we got a vpn. enjoyed it much more than netflix, because it actually had shows we like to watch. but then they also started cracking down on vpn users. if they don't allow us to pay for their services, then what must we do? region restriction is nonsense.
Been a Hulu subscriber since 2014 and have rarely experienced any Hulu downtime while using Getflix or SmartDNSProxy.

K3NS31

Expert Member
I stream because it's more convenient than downloading. As soon as it gets less convenient, eg. needing to get 5 different streaming subscriptions, then guess what happens?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I stream because it's more convenient than downloading. As soon as it gets less convenient, eg. needing to get 5 different streaming subscriptions, then guess what happens?
Then you get five different streaming services? :unsure: I'm not seeing a problem.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Then you get five different streaming services? :unsure: I'm not seeing a problem.
It's a hassle. That's the problem. Modern life is about convenience. I'm not gonna jump through hoops to give people money. I pay Netflix, maybe I pay Hulu or Amazon Prime. That's it. 2 providers is reasonable. Add any more and it's just annoying. Then I can just pull up that odd series or movie another way.