Why Standard Bank Won't Cash My Cheque

Fyson

Hi. I know absolutely nothing about cheques, that should become obvious to anyone reading this.

I was paid by cheque by a client that had no other option.

My lovely Standard bank branch manager told me that I HAD to deposit it in my account and she ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT cash it.

Quite a while ago that very same client made exactly the same cheque that Standard Bank happily cashed. So i'm sure it used to be possible. Not sure why its not anymore.

I'm revved up to have one massive shouting my guts out argument but before I do I would just like to make sure i'm not the nitwit that misunderstood how cheques work.

The cheque is not crossed and "not transferrable" is not written anywhere on it.
The cheque is made out to my business name.
or Bearer/of Toonder is not crossed out.

Can someone more intellegent than me please explain why this cheque cannot be cashed at the branch?
Because the only reason that I can see why I MUST deposit it is to further enrich Standard Bank:mad:

Drifter

Honorary Master
Just deposit it and ask for immediate clearance, will cost you a few rand, but if you need the money urgently, that is the only way to do it.

Fyson

Its not about the money, it is only R15 to deposit a cheque. Its more about wasting my time going all the way to the branch only to be told some BS by a brand new Branch manager that made my life hell in the past when she was still just a teller.

Is she correct? Can it not be cashed?

If so, then Cheques suck and I'll avoid them even more in future.

Last edited:

Odracir

Expert Member
Find another branch.
I discovered over the holidays that we have idiots working at certain branches due to them being lazy.

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
Seeing as you were at the branch already and now have to make at least one more trip, would it not have been easier to just deposit it into your account anyway? Or do you need cash in your hand immediately?

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
I think they might put their foot down since the cheque isn't made out to "Cash" but to your business name... - I think that's how it work(ed)

Bismuth

Expert Member
I think they might put their foot down since the cheque isn't made out to "Cash" but to your business name... - I think that's how it work(ed)
When I worked for my father, he often got uncrossed cheques made out to his business, that we had no issue cashing. The only thing was is that we had to go to the issuing (account holder's) branch, if said branch was too far away, then deposit into the business account and ask for immediate clearance if the cash was needed urgently. Otherwise the only issue I ever had for a "Cash" cheque was when it bounced, we never took cheques from said client again.

B

Fyson

Thanks for all the replies.
The cheque holder has his account at the very same branch I have mine. So heaven alone knows what the problem is, but it isn't that.

Unfortunately, there is only the one standard bank branch closeby. Nearest one apart from this one would be R150km away,

Yes Oj0, I could have done just deposited it there and then, but its the principle that counts. it isn't a large amount and giving R20 - R30 of it away to Standard useless Bank is not something I will do with a smile on my face. Not if i'm not the one at fault here.

Seeing as I don't need the cash immediately, I might as well make a point of it and stick to my guns and rub SB's face in it.

insect

I think its for their safety and yours. If the cheque is made out to a company/business it has to be deposited into that company/business account to prevent fraud. It doesn't matter that it is not crossed or made non transferable, to ensure there is no fraud the safest way is to have it deposited into the business account which it was made out to.

You wouldn't like it if your employees or business partners were able to cash Cheques written out to your business.

If you know your manager well, and she knows your businesses well she might bend the rule for you :) Or not.

PS In future, request a Cheque made out to cash, they can not refuse those, and you skip that stupid Cheque deposit fee.

Last edited:

KalMaverick

Expert Member
or Bearer/of Toonder is not crossed out.
You're the bearer and it's not crossed.

There's no lawful reason they're allowed to deny cashing it.

Go back and crap out the manager, also make a complaint on SB website.

Fyson

After much phonecalls and a much higher blood pressure I finally managed to get hold of someone at Standard Bank that had this to say:
The only cheque that can be cashed at the branch is a cheque made out to cash.
The moment any other details are filled in it must be deposited in your account.

This was quietly implemented a while back.

That SUCKSSSSS!!!

So basically I can't even cash a cheque with my own name on it.
WTF??

Next time someone tries to pay me by cheque i'll break his fingers.

Last edited:

Fyson

The real WTF is why a client's only option is to pay you by cheque!
1) Its our church and they want more controlled spending. So a cheque that requires 2 signatures makes good sense to them.
2) its old people. The kind that doesn't know the difference between a dvd or cd, the ones that can't set the date or time on their cellphone.

Telling them to pay via EFT would be as pointless as telling asians to stop using rhino horn.

Last edited:

KalMaverick

Expert Member
After much phonecalls and a much higher blood pressure I finally managed to get hold of someone at Standard Bank that had this to say:
The only cheque that can be cashed at the branch is a cheque made out to cash.
The moment any other details are filled in it must be deposited in your account.

This was quietly implemented a while back.

That SUCKSSSSS!!!

So basically I can't even cash a cheque with my own name on it.
WTF??

Next time someone tries to pay me by cheque i'll break his fingers.
And if you don't have a bank account? Sounds fishy.

I've cashed plenty of cheques with my name, granted it was years ago.

http://www.nedbank.co.za/website/content/crimeawareness/chequefraud.asp
If a cheque is not crossed, the person can receive payment in cash over the counter.
http://www.absa.co.za/Absacoza/Security-Centre/Banking-Security/Cheque-security
If a cheque is not crossed, the person can receive payment in cash over the counter.

Last edited:

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
Yes Oj0, I could have done just deposited it there and then, but its the principle that counts. it isn't a large amount and giving R20 - R30 of it away to Standard useless Bank is not something I will do with a smile on my face. Not if i'm not the one at fault here.

Seeing as I don't need the cash immediately, I might as well make a point of it and stick to my guns and rub SB's face in it.
So your time and petrol is worth less than R30? Wanna come work for me? o.0