Why Telkom is fighting against the spectrum auction

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Why Telkom is fighting against the spectrum auction

Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko has revealed that they are fighting against the spectrum auction in its current format because they will bid and pay for sub-1GHz spectrum which they cannot use.

Vodacom and MTN, in comparison, will be able to use the additional spectrum they get through the auction. This, Maseko said, will create an “uneven and unequal playing field”.

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) planned to hold its long-awaited auction of high-demand spectrum by 31 March 2021.

McGuywer

Executive Member
“We made various attempts to find a more rational, logical way forward. The closing date for the ITAs [Invitations to Apply] was 28 December 2020. Right up until the day before that I was criss-crossing this town trying to engage different policymakers in terms of the pitfalls that were captured in the ITA,” he said.
Basically what we do when we want support from Telkom.
I also criss-cross the town trying to find support from Telkom....

grok

Honorary Master
Please just give Telkom its monopoly back so this guy can shut his number-plate-cloning mouth about spectrum.

Thor

Honorary Master
“I think people are playing games. I think it’s important that we put this behind us and actually do what’s best for the country for a change,” Joosub said."

OMG, lol.

The irony of this statement coming from Joosub

OCP

Expert Member
Telkom complaining about an eneven and unfair playing field - this coming from the monopoly that raped it users for how many decades?

Go stand in the corner with multichoice and suck each other off to make each other feel better.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I am confused. Why is he saying the other mobile operators would be able to use the spectrum and not Telkom? No one would be able to use it until the migration is complete surely?

Swa

Honorary Master
I am confused. Why is he saying the other mobile operators would be able to use the spectrum and not Telkom? No one would be able to use it until the migration is complete surely?
I think he's referring to the fact that Telkom would get spectrum that's currently not free while the others will get spectrum that is. For once I agree with Telkom. We're 10 years behind with DTT migration. If the auction goes ahead there's no incentive for it once Isucka sits with the money.

Origin248

I think he's referring to the fact that Telkom would get spectrum that's currently not free while the others will get spectrum that is. For once I agree with Telkom. We're 10 years behind with DTT migration. If the auction goes ahead there's no incentive for it once Isucka sits with the money.
I stand corrected, but I think it's because Telkom currently does not have any infrastructure that can make use of the sub-1ghz frequency. I'm looking at the frequency table and currently, MTN and Vodacom make use of it and Telkom doesn't.

I think that's the issue since both Vodacom and MTN has been using the sub 1Ghz range to provide wider coverage for years now

Swa

Honorary Master
I stand corrected, but I think it's because Telkom currently does not have any infrastructure that can make use of the sub-1ghz frequency. I'm looking at the frequency table and currently, MTN and Vodacom make use of it and Telkom doesn't.

I think that's the issue since both Vodacom and MTN has been using the sub 1Ghz range to provide wider coverage for years now
The sub-1GHz Telkom is referring to isn't the standard 800 and 900MHz but what is currently used for analog broadcast. Until the DTT migration is complete nobody can use it.

Origin248

The sub-1GHz Telkom is referring to isn't the standard 800 and 900MHz but what is currently used for analog broadcast. Until the DTT migration is complete nobody can use it.
Ok, but then no one can use it. Then why is Telkom making this an issue.

EricsON

Xbox MVP
Ok, but then no one can use it. Then why is Telkom making this an issue.
I think the issue is that Telkom wants the sub-1GHz allocations as unlike the other operators, they currently have none. As far as I know the lower frequencies are better suited to densely populated areas which is why they are so highly sought after and so expensive.

Naturally Telkom wants to bid on that range whilst Vodacom and MTN could easily get by with additional higher frequency allocations for a lot less money. If the auction is allowed to proceed then the winners of the sub-1GHz allocations will most likely wait another 10 years for it to be freed up for actual use.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Vodacom can't wait to reduce prices, it's silly Telkom standing in the way.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The headline makes it sound as if there is something reprehensible behind Telkom's move when it is logical, understandable and fair. I am all behind Telkom in this matter.
Rpm keeps reporting it as such everywhere, it's quite obvious he's biased/with Vodacom on the matter.

Reactions: Swa

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I think the issue is that Telkom wants the sub-1GHz allocations as unlike the other operators, they currently have none. As far as I know the lower frequencies are better suited to densely populated areas which is why they are so highly sought after and so expensive.

Naturally Telkom wants to bid on that range whilst Vodacom and MTN could easily get by with additional higher frequency allocations for a lot less money. If the auction is allowed to proceed then the winners of the sub-1GHz allocations will most likely wait another 10 years for it to be freed up for actual use.
No, the lower frequencies are NOT more suited to high-density areas because the capacity available is far less than the higher frequencies.
The correct place to use the lower frequencies is in lower-density areas, rural areas etc precisely because larger cells can be established to cover the population who live in those areas with less infrastructure cost.

Last edited:

EricsON

Xbox MVP
No, the lower frequencies are NOT more suited to high-density areas because the capacity available is far less than the higher frequencies.
The correct place to use the lower frequencies is in lower-density areas, rural areas etc precisely because larger cells can be established to cover the population wh love I these areas with less infrastructure cost.
An interesting opinion Low Versus High Radio Spectrum - High Tech Forum.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The key points in the article are:

Do you build for capacity or coverage or both?
What he does not talk about is the capital cost associated with each of the above three strategies.

Traditionally, there is always a sweet point between the two, coverage and capacity, and that at the lower frequencies it is far less costly to reach that sweet point.

There are plenty of technical issues to deal with as well. The obvious one is the penetration of buildings and structures. The lower the frequency choice, the better. But that I not by any means the only technical trade-off. Changes in technology, choice of modulation schemes, coding structures, frequency sharing, channel selection strategies and many more are all at play here as well.

Once you enter the domain of cell sizes, the comparisons become even more difficult to do.

He might have a point about the option being overstated, but that is only valid IF ALL the parameters at play are treated equally, (which is virtually impossible), or at least some are kept fixed while you make the comparisons.

The answer is you cannot only allow an operator access to one band and not the other. ALL operators require equal access to all the bands to ensure all operators are able to make the right decisions, and THAT is the issue why Telkom is pushing against the current way in which ICASA has tended to allocate capacity to the existing operators.