Why Telkom's LIT box lost its Netflix support

Dolby

Honorary Master
Nah, no fight from me.
:unsure:

You started an argument when I asked why you think the LIT was junk?

You really could have stated your thoughts without attacking me - but you chose to?

Regardless, if you can show me the posts that upset you, I'm happy to explain

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
:unsure:

You started an argument when I asked why you think the LIT was junk?

You really could have stated your thoughts without attacking me - but you chose to?

Regardless, if you can show me the posts that upset you, I'm happy to explain
I didn't attack you. I just wanted clarification of your relationship with Nology. As it is I generally take pains to avoid you, so lets keep it that way.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I didn't attack you. I just wanted clarification of your relationship with Nology. In fact I generally take pains to avoid you.
That was the first thing you did which - as I said - it's none of your business what I do or don't do. However, it's in a post as to my relationship if you're keen on learning more about me for whatever reason.

But then to accuse me of shilling and punting ? I think you'll find far more people side with me on this ... my posts do none of the sort

Anyway, the accusation is pretty low @bwana

Last edited:

milomak

Honorary Master
for the price, the lit was good even when it only had dstv and you could use kodi. when netflix was added it was alright (nothing special but certainly not terrible as a run of the mill box).

it is pretty shitty though now i will have to buy another for netflix

thesuspect

It’s a pity, been a good little box for 2-3 years already, never had an issue. Lucky I had a spare Mi Box S, but this doesn’t have all the spare USB ports and card slot as I used to plug in usb game controllers for a NES emulator as well as external HD’s. Will look at an Ematic now. Any way of pressuring Nology to take on the Netflix licensing?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Did people actually buy them?

They threw mine in with a contract - I really needed the modem at the time - and after a couple of days I threw it in a drawer. It's a piece of junk, really not worth getting miffed about it.

Worked well after they updated it a couple of years ago.

In law's still using it for DSTV now and YouTube with no complaint.

Now using an ATV 3 for Netflix.

Not sure why people are calling it 'junk' - chugs along quite happily

Piesang

Executive Member
I installed Kodi but can't seam today get Netflix on it.

I got a tutorial for the Catalist repository which include Netflix, but when I click on Install from repository, there is no files to install.

As soon as anyone get Netflix running on Kodi, please post tutorial.

Not looking for free Netflix, I'm a subscriber.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Did people actually buy them?

They threw mine in with a contract - I really needed the modem at the time - and after a couple of days I threw it in a drawer. It's a piece of junk, really not worth getting miffed about it.

Bought both of mine ...

Piesang

Executive Member
Strange how Telkom screwed me when I was a client. And now 5 years after I cancelled all ties with them, they screw me again.

Corelli

Expert Member
The lit box was great. Stable and worked. Could use external hdd and vlc. Just worked out of the box. Pity about Netflix. We still use the lit box for Viki, Showmax, Youtube and DSTV Now. Also vlc occasionally.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
The lit box was great. Stable and worked. Could use external hdd and vlc. Just worked out of the box. Pity about Netflix. We still use the lit box for Viki, Showmax, Youtube and DSTV Now. Also vlc occasionally.

Seeing as there is no longer Netflix available on it, an IPTV subscription, will probably be the best replacement.

Must look into that.

Last edited:

killerbyte

Expert Member
Multichoice buying further monopoly rights maybe?

"The move comes after MultiChoice, Africa's largest pay-TV provider, signed deals with Netflix and Amazon.com to offer their streaming services through its new decoder"
Correlation does not imply causation.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Also interested in IPTV.
You need a VPN for that though?

My understanding is that the only reason for a VPN is geo-unblocking, or if your ISP is throttling your IPTV stream.

For Geo-unblocking, I'd prefer a Smart DNS service.

But right now, Supersonic Fixed-LTE-A, is not good enough to stream anything, with or without a VPN, do am left hanging in the air, attached to a Sky Hook somewhere.