Why the government's attempt to compare Telkom to SAA is flawed

LOM

Honorary Master
I'm going to be honest.
I will actively avoid SAA.
I don't believe this government is capable of turning them around and I believe it's a waste of resources. The sooner it dies the better.

Johand

Expert Member
I am just worried that somebody from government reads this and reach the conclusion that they need to make SAA a monopoly.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I am just worried that somebody from government reads this and reach the conclusion that they need to make SAA a monopoly.

Ultimately that isn't possible, thanks to the interconnectedness of air routes.

If they tried the monopoly thing, they'd more than likely lose landing rights at places like Heathrow etc...
You can't run an airline hub without having connections to the main transit points around the world.

Johand

Expert Member
Telkom is still a disaster when it comes to customer service and broadband coverage.

But it isn't the governments fiscal problem anymore :) Frankly if the "new" SAA has terrible customer service, very few flights but is not funded by the tax payer then it is an absolute win :) At this stage even if the government sells 100% of it for R1 in a corrupt transaction then the taxpayers will still come out ahead.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Telkom is still a disaster when it comes to customer service and broadband coverage.
It's a model of business they are talking about, and it's still a far much better disaster than any of the SOEs. Their management is useless but they are still a company that is able to make money for government.

grok

Honorary Master
If government is still going to be involved will Cele allow alcohol to be served on flights?

LOM

Honorary Master
If government is still going to be involved will Cele allow alcohol to be served on flights?
There will be a loophole about the government's jurisdiction x meters from the ground.

LOM

Honorary Master
Ultimately that isn't possible, thanks to the interconnectedness of air routes.

If they tried the monopoly thing, they'd more than likely lose landing rights at places like Heathrow etc...
You can't run an airline hub without having connections to the main transit points around the world.
You can monopolise local routes tho.