Why the iPad Is the Most Hated Gadget Ever?

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
But joking aside, everyone is going on about a 7 inch tablet, but i would like a 12 inch one for around the house. If they could keep the weight down, perhaps around the same weight as the iPad 1, a 12 inch retina display with some software changes would likely have enough space to do some light multitasking. I find it kinda tough going from a a very spacious 27 inch iMac down to a 10 inch monotasker. Web pages feel a little cramped when using the iPad, i don't want to have to tap to zoom the whole time.

But i guess it would be a niche need.

Haldex

Expert Member
I don't think its about being a smart consumer, although you think you are smart by being anti mainstream. You don't want to be labled part of the sheeple, so you will rather tell yourself and everybody else that will listen that everybody that buys apple is an idiot. The jokes on you, the iPad is the best at what a tablet is suppose to be and your bias is stopping you from buying a truly great product. Enjoy your 7" imitation.

Lol I have a 64GB 4S, doubt you do.
I also have an iPad.
You definitely need a demo on the new Samsung 7Plus.

As for the comments on the Pilots and Doctors, those are just apps, whatever Apple has Android has.

Apple might have invented the 'tab' but they don't have the best on the market, same with Ford or the Brits at Cricket...

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
Lol I have a 64GB 4S, doubt you do.
I also have an iPad.
You definitely need a demo on the new Samsung 7Plus.

As for the comments on the Pilots and Doctors, those are just apps, whatever Apple has Android has.

Apple might have invented the 'tab' but they don't have the best on the market, same with Ford or the Brits at Cricket...

Android is still way behind when it comes to tablet apps, but things are pretty equal on phones.

If i was buying a phone i'd go for a galaxy nexus over the iPhone 4s anyday, but when it comes to tablets nothing touches the iPad app ecosystem.

Haldex

Expert Member
Android is still way behind when it comes to tablet apps, but things are pretty equal on phones.

If i was buying a phone i'd go for a galaxy nexus over the iPhone 4s anyday, but when it comes to tablets nothing touches the iPad app ecosystem.

Guess you also need a demo on the new 7plus. ;)
All the apps from mobiles works on the tab.
Have you used a galaxy note?
The library alone kills the ipad.
Imagine a book in pdf format, opens perfectly on the 7plus, you can highlight key sentences tag them then list them in a second!

*done punting Samsung products, but they've impressed me over the last 2months.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Imagine a book in pdf format, opens perfectly on the 7plus, you can highlight key sentences tag them then list them in a second!

You mean just like on an iPad? Imagine that.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member

I like the 7plus hardware as well - really pretty and slim. But using phone apps on a tablet is not ideal, in fact i would say it's kinda pointless really if you already have a phone.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Well I have an ipad and I must say it is quite nice, wish it had a usb port of some kind and a proper file system utility. Very nice for web browsing and watching my series while cooking food and stuff :p

There are better alternatives but I am happy with my ipad.. For now

vinodh

Expert Member
@Zyzzyva: I also would love to have a larger tablet. I enjoy reading magazines on my iPad and a bigger screen would be perfect.

@biometrics: I first thought that 1024x768 was too low a resolution and was the main reason I held back on buying a iPad. I was wrong. I finally went to the iStore, played with one, and realized that its resolution was excellent.

Dolby

Honorary Master
The iPad app store is both a negative and positive.

It's great that someone has reviewed an application before it goes into the store - it gives me confidence to download, as I know it'll work correctly, there's no malicious code and the coding is efficient. Also, you don't end up with 50 apps doing pretty much the same thing

The not so great thing is that Android do have better apps IMO. We install corporate wifi and all the engineers have Andoid tablets with much better apps so analyse both wifi and GSM signals and get proper information.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
The iPad app store is both a negative and positive.

It's great that someone has reviewed an application before it goes into the store - it gives me confidence to download, as I know it'll work correctly, there's no malicious code and the coding is efficient. Also, you don't end up with 50 apps doing pretty much the same thing

The not so great thing is that Android do have better apps IMO. We install corporate wifi and all the engineers have Andoid tablets with much better apps so analyse both wifi and GSM signals and get proper information.

Yeah it would be nice if they allowed anything in, and just blocked buggy and insecure apps.

Android does have many techie apps, but i don't think thats important or useful to most people. For you and i its cool, but for the man on the street the iPad's vast game collection is far more useful.

vinodh

Expert Member
Yeah it would be nice if they allowed anything in, and just blocked buggy and insecure apps.

Android does have many techie apps, but i don't think thats important or useful to most people. For you and i its cool, but for the man on the street the iPad's vast game collection is far more useful.

I hate all those games on IOS. Truckloads of angry something or other and heaps of slicing and dicing various fruits and veg. Going through the top 10 apps normally shows more games on the list than anything else. I just hope that the various app developers don't all jump on the gaming bandwagon and completely abandon the idea of creating apps that can help do something more useful than murdering a watermelon with a ninja sword.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
I hate all those games on IOS. Truckloads of angry something or other and heaps of slicing and dicing various fruits and veg. Going through the top 10 apps normally shows more games on the list than anything else. I just hope that the various app developers don't all jump on the gaming bandwagon and completely abandon the idea of creating apps that can help do something more useful than murdering a watermelon with a ninja sword.

haha yeah, i don't bother playing any games either, but the kids love it. Imagine how you would feel about it if you were 11. Most of the game sales are driven by kids telling each other about the latest games at school.

But to say that it might mean there is less app innovation elsewhere would be wrong i would say, there is a lot of innovation elsewhere.

Last edited:

chris2.0

I got a firesale TouchPad - still paid a pretty big premium just to get it out of the USA. At least it cost me less than half than what an iTab or And-pad would have cost...

But I've started looking for a 12" tablet - reading comics on the TouchPad is do-able, but bigger is better!

But the only 12" tabs I can order ATM are keyboard-less netbooks with Win7 on them... So seems I'll have to wait for Win8 + ARM hardware to drop...

Or PM me if you want to order a 12" atom cpu tablet from alibaba with me? http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/504256045/12_1_inch_Capacitive_tablet_pc.html

Why don't we ever see fire sales?

We get a 10% discount and they pay 1/5th the price!

cerebus

Honorary Master
It's difficult to say who has the better app selection. Android integration with the Google ecosystem is so much better than iOS. Google reader, Gmail client, Maps, Latitude, Gtalk etc is excellent and seamless. I prefer to have Android on a phone because of that; if I just want information right there without having to jump through hoops Android takes it.

But for productivity, general surfing and entertainment there's no comparison either. Flipboard alone makes iOS worthwhile. And there are some great games - whoever complains about the Angry Birds clones, I'm sorry but you can't have spent much time looking for games on the iPad. This morning I downloaded Jetpack Joyride for free and it's a total blast. And for kids' apps, I have the Dora games, Pooh, Kumon, iBooks readalong series - it's cheaper than going to a bookstore and the 3 year old loves it. I can vet exactly what he plays with and how long he gets to play for, and if we're out and about and they start getting stroppy nothing beats the iPad.

reedOsama

Why the PC Industry Hates the iPad

One of the hottest segments three years ago was the tiny netbook. Many PC companies are still relying on netbook revenue. But, increasingly, they can’t.

Meanwhile, the Dells of the world have a bigger problem, which is that some people are using their iPad as an alternative to a full-size laptop or desktop.

Former PC World Editor-in-Chief and current Technologizer writer Harry McCracken said last week that the iPad 2 has become his favorite computer. McCracken wrote: “I think it’s possible to use an iPad as one’s primary device for professional-level content creation. Actually, scratch that. I’m positive it’s possible — because I’ve been doing it for the past three months, and I’ve been having a really good time.”

The number of people who favor an iPad as their main computing environment is small but growing.

And the PC industry hates that.

I'll have to take the writers word when comparing the ipad to other tablets since I haven't used another tablet

but what does PC World Editor-in-Chief and current Technologizer writer Harry McCracken
(awesome name by the way:D) do or not do with his PC/laptop that he can use an ipad as an alternative.

Nevermind its usability, listening to music or watching a video on the ipad eats its battery like mad.

Last edited: