Why the SABC wants a TV Licence for smartphones

MickZA

Executive Member
So they want the very same people who currently don't have a licence for their TVs to get one for their cellphone instead - which will then cover their TV as well ... :crylaugh:

Creag

The Boar's Rock
For a company that should be trying to endear themselves to the consumer, they are doing their level best to enrage 'em. Eejits!

saor

Honorary Master
May as well get one for my etch-a-sketch too then.

martin

Expert Member
The last time I caught a glimpse of a SABC channel, the broadcast was being reflected off of a full-length store mirror. I have a strong suspicion that the mirror was unlicensed. I realise now that it is my civic duty to report the store owner.

MickZA

Executive Member
Hmm, I wonder if a company will only need one TV licence to cover the cellphones they issue to employees ...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Kganyago said Aguma was merely stating that if you watch “TV” on something other than a device with a normal TV signal receiver, you should pay for a licence.

So basically, they are saying that streaming is tuning, got it.

Adrianax

Banned
What does the SABC and ANC not understand about this???!!!

Long and the short is, if they force this down our throats and force us to pay licenses for using cellphones here is what will happen:

1. We will get a cellphone which does not make use of data. Go back to the 1990's and use only voice and text.

If they need a license for any mobile device:

2. Simply get rid of mobile phones and tablets and only use a landline.

The broadband sector will fall. More companies will close down. Telkom will be next in line. More AA & BEE employees to be unemployed and no contracts to work on. This will simply put kill the economy.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'll pay a "TV Licence" for my cellphone etc. the moment I use the SABC as my ISP.

I mean really...wtf.

daveza

Honorary Master
Kganyago said Aguma was merely stating that if you watch “TV” on something other than a device with a normal TV signal receiver, you should pay for a licence.

And all my life I thought you could only watch TV on a TV.

neoprema

Executive Member
I'm worried this is going to happen.

Clearly the CEO wants a big bonus and more money to steal. The SABC is useless and should have been closed down or sold LONG ago.

My worry is the CEO just needs to convince some Govt buddies how many Range Rovers they'll get with this new revenue stream and their usual under-handed bribes and there's a chance this could pass... :erm:

FNfal

Executive Member
Where do these idiots get the gall to even suggest paying a TV licence for a cellphone from ? .
They must be fully paid up members of the dumb shyts association .

raider1e

Can't wait to see the first person that walks into a store, buys an internet capable fridge and is asked to pay a TV licence for it.......

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I'll pawn all my smart things and go back to the stone age of the late 80's/early 90's with voice and sms should they try this.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Shut them down and let them go bankrupt.

Then give the license to DSTV or ETV to operate more free channels. They are obviously doing just fine and don't need the bail outs to make it happen.

Why do we keep encouraging systems that don't perform?