Why to follow religions ?

JC H

Why do we need to follow a religion, a book, someone to believe in something ? Why can we not have enough confidence in following our own ideas, beliefs and natural instincts instead of all these religions that was created by men like us at the end of the day.

Milano

Honorary Master
Why can we not have enough confidence in following our own ideas, beliefs and natural instincts instead of all these religions that was created by men like us at the end of the day.
What if 7.2 billion people were unable to each conceive of their own unique set of ideas, beliefs and instincts? Maybe if some came up with the same or even a similar belief system they might form a group? What would a group of that type be called?

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Why do we need to follow a religion, a book, someone to believe in something ? Why can we not have enough confidence in following our own ideas, beliefs and natural instincts instead of all these religions that was created by men like us at the end of the day.
Exactly. Religion is for the weak, the ones who need something to believe in as they cannot cope with life because the real world is hard and hurts.

crocopede

Humans have an instinct to follow. We are programmed to want to belong. To fit in. This is a primal imprint left from the times where being unique left you out in the cold while the tribe gathered and feasted on berries.

That is why people choose to label themselves a specific sect.
Also, imagine a world where everyone had their own views and no one could aquire the warm fuzzy feeling of agreeing on the name of god.

Arksun

Expert Member
I know too little about other other religions to comment on them, but when it comes to the main abrahamic religions, it's because they were programmed since birth by their parents to do so. Hell is thrown in just for good measure to keep them in check.

You can brainwash a kid to worship a wheel of cheese and if you instill enough fear, that belief will last well into old age.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Governments, and in particular people with the urge and desire to control others will have none of that...

Beyond.Celsus

Firstly. You don't need to do anything except what keeps you alive. You need to eat, drink and sleep. Everything else is optional.
Secondly. You can follow your own ideas as much as you want, just remember that a lot of people have some pretty dumb ideas. Don't be one of them.
Lastly. Live and let live. If people feel content within a community of like minded people, what's it to you? Just, because you do not have the desire to feel connected to people who believe the same way you do, does not mean others don't. Nobody is forcing you.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Humans have an instinct to follow. We are programmed to want to belong. To fit in. This is a primal imprint left from the times where being unique left you out in the cold while the tribe gathered and feasted on berries.

That is why people choose to label themselves a specific sect.
Also, imagine a world where everyone had their own views and no one could aquire the warm fuzzy feeling of agreeing on the name of god.
Pretty much this. You believe in what your parents, friends, priest, community believes in.
No one wants to be marginalised or victimised because of their beliefs.

It's the same with being gay.

Firstly. You don't need to do anything except what keeps you alive. You need to eat, drink and sleep. Everything else is optional.
Secondly. You can follow your own ideas as much as you want, just remember that a lot of people have some pretty dumb ideas. Don't be one of them.
Lastly. Live and let live. If people feel content within a community of like minded people, what's it to you? Just, because you do not have the desire to feel connected to people who believe the same way you do, does not mean others don't. Nobody is forcing you.
InB4 religion is the cause of war.

Pretty much this. You believe in what your parents, friends, priest, community believes in.

hang on..are you saying that being gay is the result of a belief system?

Surv0

Executive Member
I like the way you think. I'll be following you and adhering to your words.
Because people want to be led... as much as people want to preach, there are more people wanting to listen. Where there is a demand, there will be a supply. Its just funny that the supply created the demand many moons ago.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member

Being gay is neither a choice or a belief, but oh my, how religions condemn it.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Being gay is neither a choice or a belief, but oh my, how religions condemn it.
My point is about people being afraid to come out, because of societal expectations.
Same with religion, there's always a consequence if you go against the grain of society. So it's easier to conform.

My point is about people being afraid to come out, because of societal expectations.
Same with religion, there's always a consequence if you go against the grain of society. So it's easier to conform.

I find societal expectations of religiosity somewhat bizarre.
Where I grew up, being atheist/agnostic is just about the norm, and the religious are the exception.

So it makes a difference in which society you are embedded I guess - South Africa has always seemed decades behind the curve to me.