Why to follow religions ?

JC H

What if 7.2 billion people were unable to each conceive of their own unique set of ideas, beliefs and instincts? Maybe if some came up with the same or even a similar belief system they might form a group? What would a group of that type be called?
May be ... I should open a new church - The church of freedom - sound good !!:laugh::laugh:

Bobbin

Executive Member
I'm too lazy/tired to follow anything. And I don't have any inclination to devote myself, which takes energy, to something so mundane anyway - like wasting my Sunday morning at a church. That's my laundry day.

Prawnapple

Laundry is not at odds with Christianity. Cleanliness is next to godliness.
This is such a funny quote, i've never quite rapped my head around it but it just seems like somebody made this up to make a point to a kid or something. "Clean your room or God's going to punish you". "okay mom, I don't want no punishment from god". Lel.

EADC

Expert Member
Laundry is not at odds with Christianity. Cleanliness is next to godliness.
This is a weird thing to say since in history the Christians where not the cleanest of people, this was usualy the case with the Muslims and Jews.

konfab

Honorary Master
Why do we need to follow a religion, a book, someone to believe in something ? Why can we not have enough confidence in following our own ideas, beliefs and natural instincts instead of all these religions that was created by men like us at the end of the day.
We want to know why the world works because the more you understand how the world works, the easier you can move through it. Because coming up with your own explanations for how the world works and should work is hard, we use the approximations and simplifications made by other people to help us understand.

Park@82

Honorary Master
... Why can we not have enough confidence in following our own ideas, beliefs and natural instincts instead of ...
What makes you think that you have your own ideas? What makes you think that the ideas that you think are your own can be trusted? If everything came into being trough random processes, what makes you think that order and truth exists. What is true?

'People don't have ideas. Ideas have people.' Carl Jung

Milano

Honorary Master
This is a weird thing to say since in history the Christians where not the cleanest of people, this was usualy the case with the Muslims and Jews.
The saying pre-dates Christianity by many centuries. It actually originates from Hebrew religious texts and even Babylonian times.

Milano

Honorary Master
This is such a funny quote, i've never quite rapped my head around it but it just seems like somebody made this up to make a point to a kid or something. "Clean your room or God's going to punish you". "okay mom, I don't want no punishment from god". Lel.
Lol true, often comes across that way. The broader sentiment is likely built around discipline. The fruits of our lives are largely built around our ability to build and maintain discipline irrespective of religion. The logical element would also relate to the control of the growth and spread of disease.

Techne

Honorary Master
I can think of a few :unsure:... practical reasons.
1. To piss off narcissists.
2. To build a high trust civilization.
3. To build relationships.

Of course you don't need religion to do all these, but it sure is a fun all in one practical way to do it.

Milano

Honorary Master
The cleanliness is next to godliness phrase. IS that in the bible?
Not a biblical scholar so not sure.. Possibly similar phrasing? Also see post #32. That exact phrasing though in a Christian context appears to have only been first introduced to Christianity by Worsley in the 1700's.

Deetz

Why do we need to follow a religion, a book, someone to believe in something ? Why can we not have enough confidence in following our own ideas, beliefs and natural instincts instead of all these religions that was created by men like us at the end of the day.
I say its simple, We dont NEED to do anything.
To sum it up for me, its a result of generational conditioning, and if you back track history a bit it becomes clear that Religion is control. Simple.

I always say that we've been conditioned in such a way that we as humans only ever choose one or the other.
Its like walking up to two boards with options (hypothetical) written on them, People will always (due to conditioning) choose one or the other, as there only seems to be 2 choices available. BUT what I believe is that we have the right to choose a third option (that might not be visibly listed) or just simply reject the 2 options presented and continue the search for an option that WE CHOOSE.

Milano

Honorary Master
I can think of a few :unsure:... practical reasons.
1. To piss off narcissists.
2. To build a high trust civilization.
3. To build relationships.

Of course you don't need religion to do all these, but it sure is a fun all in one practical way to do it.
Agreed. In any successful civilisation a rules based discipline system is a fundamental part of society. It seems only natural that religion would be the basis of the earliest such systems. The fact that it has endured says much. We would really to compare that to something else which is in huge contrast to those existing systems to measure the success of anything capable of replacing it.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Agreed. In any successful civilisation a rules based discipline system is a fundamental part of society. It seems only natural that religion would be the basis of the earliest such systems. The fact that it has endured says much. We would really to compare that to something else which is in huge contrast to those existing systems to measure the success of anything capable of replacing it.
That's one way of looking at it. Of course, if you take the old British Empire as an example, it only seemed to start flourishing once the church had been relegated to a side-show, and political systems took over.