Why to follow religions ?

dabean

Expert Member
Fair enough but sounds too complicated.

I`m just simple. I wont kill you, you dont kill me
I dont steal from you, you dont steal from me
Treat people the way they'd like to be treated, AKA the Platinum rule.

JC H

I say its simple, We dont NEED to do anything.
To sum it up for me, its a result of generational conditioning, and if you back track history a bit it becomes clear that Religion is control. Simple.

I always say that we've been conditioned in such a way that we as humans only ever choose one or the other.
Its like walking up to two boards with options (hypothetical) written on them, People will always (due to conditioning) choose one or the other, as there only seems to be 2 choices available. BUT what I believe is that we have the right to choose a third option (that might not be visibly listed) or just simply reject the 2 options presented and continue the search for an option that WE CHOOSE.
Wise words !!

tRoN

Executive Member
The thing is that Abrahamic religions whilst being majorly different have some sort of connection so thus those religions seem plausible as there is subtle evidence of its credibility

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The thing is that Abrahamic religions whilst being majorly different have some sort of connection so thus those religions seem plausible as there is subtle evidence of its credibility
LOL they all branched off the same root. There's fokol plausible about them.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Then seven billions following something that can not be proven !
Religion(s) doesn't need proving :ROFL: It just is. it exists.

All the silly parables and fairytale stories said religions sells as facts - now they do need proving. Oh and of course...the existence of a God

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Indeed and I supposed it can be argued that its like that by design. But L. Ron Hubbard sure showed the world that it can be done, even in modern times.
If I had my life over I'd invent a religion too...
The argument is that it's not about proof, but about belief.
If you believe something to be true, it will be true for you, regardless of outside factors.

Like people who believe in ghosts. No amount of facts or common sense will change their belief and because they believe so passionately, they convince themselves that they have actually seen a ghost.

And to be clear, I am not mocking religious people.
I wish I could believe in something as absolutely as they do.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
If you believe something to be true, it will be true for you, regardless of outside factors.

Like people who believe in ghosts. No amount of facts or common sense will change their belief and because they believe so passionately, they convince themselves that they have actually seen a ghost.

Hey dude I agree with you... no issues here!

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master

Saw a video once of this woman who claims to see angels. Visibly distressed people in the audience were asking her questions hoping they'll get an answer to their various issues and difficulties.
When people are looking for answers and hope they turn to religion.

I'll try and find the video on YT later.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Saw a video once of this woman who claims to see angels. Visibly distressed people in the audience were asking her questions hoping they'll get an answer to their various issues and difficulties.
When people are looking for answers and hope they turn to religion.

I'll try and find the video on YT later.
Is it such a bad thing though?
If it gives them peace of mind, I see no harm in it.

At the end of the day we don't know. It can't be proven correct or false.
When we die, we may find out they were right all along.

Personally I am not religious, but I do believe in a God, if that makes sense.
I just believe in my own way and do not limit myself to one book.
I also do not ignore science. What people often forget or deny is that a lot of new discoveries were made in the years after the bible / quran / gita was written.

garp

Executive Member
To my mind, religion gives individuals in a society a higher purpose and is really a system for imposing group discipline to match the goals of that society.

The problem is, firstly, that modern science has exposed the fictions upon which those religions were built, and secondly, the aims and ideals of those religions are no longer applicable to the modern world. That's not to say that religion served no purpose - it just no longer serves a relevant purpose.

What the western world really needs is a structured secular religion that has no deity, silly creation myths or arbitrary moral values. This should be a priority as in its absence less desirable proclivities will fill the void. It's already evident in the west - e.g. the cult of celebrity, the cult of consumerism, social media addiction, drug and gang culture, climatism, even obsession with sports - all filling the empty space left by the decline of traditional religion.

We need something like a modernised, scientific version of Buddhism that worships no deity and provides all the mental and social benefits of mindfulness, presence, contemplation, meditation, charity, right living, etc, etc as well as providing the cohesion from the social and communal aspects lost when the traditional church communities declined. For societies to thrive, they need some kind of a belief system. The west lost faith in its beliefs, and needs to build something new, something better than an aspiration to be like the Kardashians.

Religions have run their course previously and societies have transitioned to new more relevant religions over the course of a century or two - right now we are in a very interesting period as Christianity has all but died. It will be a century or two before it is either replaced with something more modern and relevant, or we are overwhelmed by a more forcefully proselytising totalitarian religion like Islam and plunged into a new dark age.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Is it such a bad thing though?
If it gives them peace of mind, I see no harm in it.

At the end of the day we don't know. It can't be proven correct or false.
When we die, we may find out they were right all along.

Personally I am not religious, but I do believe in a God, if that makes sense.
I just believe in my own way and do not limit myself to one book.
I also do not ignore science. What people often forget or deny is that a lot of new discoveries were made in the years after the bible / quran / gita was written.
Religion good in that its the simplest way to bring people together of all ages and cultures as they all share a common belief.

Problem comes in when it tries to enforce rules and subjugate because its what God wants.

God says you must be celibate so naturally you have to fiddle with boys.

This is where science and reason lags. Its very easy to convince people about gods but not so much to teach them E=MC²

Which begs the question. Why do some intelligent, rational and educated people still embrace a religious dogma that completely contradicts their own sense of reason?

I believe that there isn't a traditional god but an energy force that goes beyond our understanding.

I highly recommend a book called The Evolution of God by Robert Wright. If everything about god is man made how can there be one.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I have a potentially controversial view I'm teasing lately...

Religion, conservatives and even the alt-right are all left-wing relative to individualism (independence). Thus to serve any ideology including religion is to be a relatively evil collectivist to any who do not ascribe to the ideology that you serve.

If I'm correct then following a religion is evil itself.

You may freely associate with any religion or ideology as long as it threatens no one. But that's perhaps the fundamental difference between a collectivist and individualist.

I wonder how others feel about this view. Too extreme?

And yes, by extension this would imply Hitler was left-wing (Or collectivist by ideology) :p

Last edited:

Bobbin

Executive Member
We need something like a modernised, scientific version of Buddhism that worships no deity and provides all the mental and social benefits of mindfulness, presence, contemplation, meditation, charity, right living, etc, etc as well as providing the cohesion from the social and communal aspects lost when the traditional church communities declined. For societies to thrive, they need some kind of a belief system. The west lost faith in its beliefs, and needs to build something new, something better than an aspiration to be like the Kardashians.

Religions have run their course previously and societies have transitioned to new more relevant religions over the course of a century or two - right now we are in a very interesting period as Christianity has all but died. It will be a century or two before it is either replaced with something more modern and relevant, or we are overwhelmed by a more forcefully proselytising totalitarian religion like Islam and plunged into a new dark age.
So basically you're calling for individualism to rise again and declare a new independence and hammer down on all the oppression. This usually entails bloodshed though I think. Though I could be wrong. It's a very rudimentary view of mine, but I think we've got politics all wrong (Or at least I did) :)

Last edited:

garp

Executive Member
So basically you're calling for individualism to rise again and declare a new independence and hammer down on all the oppression. This usually entails bloodshed though I think. Though I could be wrong. It's a very rudimentary view of mine, but I think we've got politics all wrong (Or at least I did) :)
I think christianity, post-reformation, was very beneficial for civilisation partly because, compared to other religions, it provided a better balance between individual and communal responsibility and well-being. You could be your own person, pursue your own goals materially and spiritually as long as you remained within a moral framework provided by the church. I'm proposing that there was nothing wrong with that, just the the myths the christianity was based upon became antiquated, unbelievable and irrelevant. So that what we need to look at is a framework that respects personal individuality but which also provides community cohesion, and some fundamental standards for moral behaviour as well as secular tools for achieving higher purpose and actualisation, e.g. meditation, visualisation, merit through right living, etc etc. Basically, take the god out of christianity and add back a more secular and scientific approach to mental and social well being.