Why to follow religions ?

Shaun108

Executive Member
Flying donkeys, a man waking up from the dead, gods with multiple dicks... no thanks but I'd rather stick to science and proof.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I think christianity, post-reformation, was very beneficial for civilisation partly because, compared to other religions, it provided a better balance between individual and communal responsibility and well-being. You could be your own person, pursue your own goals materially and spiritually as long as you remained within a moral framework provided by the church. I'm proposing that there was nothing wrong with that, just the the myths the christianity was based upon became antiquated, unbelievable and irrelevant. So that what we need to look at is a framework that respects personal individuality but which also provides community cohesion, and some fundamental standards for moral behaviour as well as secular tools for achieving higher purpose and actualisation, e.g. meditation, visualisation, merit through right living, etc etc. Basically, take the god out of christianity and add back a more secular and scientific approach to mental and social well being.
I agree.

I also wonder if individualism has somehow lost its meaning somewhere. Because, though the word seems to imply self-interest, I have a different spin on it.

Individualism (Far right) supports independence and freedom of association without enforcement, coercion or threat. It also treats all interaction as a moral transaction entirely free of enforcement, coercion or threat. It is the complete opposite of collectivist ideological worship.

Because the globalist narrative has instilled a forced dichotomy of opposition in the form of the alt-right (Who I believe are actually left-wing too, just a competing ideology), the voice of the individualist against collective oppression has also been completely shut down just because their protest happens to coincide with the opposing nationalist/supremacist narrative/ideology.

So individualists have completely lost their way, meaning and purpose. A lot of them just happen to come from a western background (democracy, free-market etc...), though not entirely. Also Christianity may have in some part instilled individualism through the idea of personal responsibility, though the religion/ideology itself sways along the spectrum depending on the individual and situation.

Anyway, I won't blame anyone for thinking this is all nonsense. Just a theory I'm playing with.

Last edited:

garp

Executive Member
I agree.

I also wonder if individualism has somehow lost its meaning somewhere. Because, though the word seems to imply self-interest, I have a different spin on it.
To my mind, individualism is a requirement for a healthy society. If you cannot self-actualise and be fulfilled, you cannot hope to help anyone else or contribute to your community in a meaningful way. Basically, it's the principle of "first heal thyself"

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Indeed and I supposed it can be argued that its like that by design. But L. Ron Hubbard sure showed the world that it can be done, even in modern times.
If I had my life over I'd invent a religion too...
I`ll start my own religion, with blackjack and hookers