Why touch screens in vehicles are a bad idea

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Why touch screens in vehicles are a bad idea

Two years ago, 10 sailors died when the U.S. Navy’s guided missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with a chemical tanker off Singapore.

An investigation has determined that insufficient training and inadequate operating procedures were to blame, and both factors were related to a new touch-screen-based helm control system. The Navy has decided to revert its destroyers back to entirely physical throttles and helm controls.

[Bloomberg]

Craig

Honorary Master
Because you have to look at them more often (distracted driving), and they might give too much info (information overload).

I do not need to take my eyes of the road to change between the 6 preset radio channels in my car due to it using 6 physical buttons, with the nice big volume/on-off button in between.
Most cars with touchscreens has buttons on the steering wheel that can change the station and the volume. Sometimes even more than that. You don't need to look down when driving to do that.

This new audi fad of making the climate control and related features touch screen needs you to take your eyes off the road though, that I'll agree on.

Apogee

Fighter pilots have the same problem.

They are being bombarded with information and still have to fly the plane as well.

saor

Honorary Master
I do not need to take my eyes of the road to change between the 6 preset radio channels in my car due to it using 6 physical buttons, with the nice big volume/on-off button in between.
Except who listens to radio anymore? People are changing spotifiy and switching podcasts etc.

genetic

Honorary Master
Read the article.

Touch screens are distracting, as they require you to look at the screen to interact with it and find the information or controls you are looking for. There is no tactile feedback.

A physical button or dial is always there, and always does the same function. You can use it without having to look at it.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Another item to add to my list of things I don't want in a car!
Stupidity at work in the name of innovation.
Enjoy driving and being in control of your own vehicle while you still can. Stupid is on the way in.

access

Honorary Master
all vehicles need a hud, put console controller buttons on the steering wheel and everything will be great. if you cant operate the controller buttons its s sign youre too old. :p

Sensorei

Executive Member
Android Auto is the simple answer. It adds voice activation and control to your car's touchscreen multimedia head unit and works brilliantly. GPS, music, spotify, podcasts, etc all controlled by voice. Plenty of new car's have it as an option, but of course it's not officially available in South Africa.

But you can get it working on your phone or Android head unit easily using Headunit Reloaded app or install the Android Auto .apk.

genetic

Honorary Master
Android Auto is the simple answer. It adds voice activation and control to your car's touchscreen multimedia head unit and works brilliantly. GPS, music, spotify, podcasts, etc all controlled by voice. Plenty of new car's have it as an option, but of course it's not officially available in South Africa.

But you can get it working on your phone or Android head unit easily using Headunit Reloaded app or install the Android Auto .apk.
Android Auto is officially available in SA.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The rot set in when some or other idiot designed the automatic gearbox.

Sensorei

Executive Member
Whatsapp also works with Android Auto. You can listen to text messages and reply using voice commands.

genetic

Honorary Master
Bunch of old backwards anti progress people.....
I wouldn't consider fumbling through a touchscreen menu while driving progress....

My car uses the older monochrome LCD screen tech, and won't even let me scroll through the menu whilst the car is moving. The only thing it will let me change is music tracks / volume and display brightness.

All the other menu / bluetooth features are disabled unless stationary.