Why touch screens in vehicles are a bad idea

genetic

Honorary Master
Bunch of old backwards anti progress people.....
I wouldn't consider fumbling through a touchscreen menu while driving progress....

My car uses the older monochrome LCD screen tech, and won't even let me scroll through the menu whilst the car is moving. The only thing it will let me change is music tracks / volume and display brightness.

All the other menu / bluetooth features are disabled unless stationary.

namzsteve

Expert Member
The problem is not the tech, people are the problem.
Look on the road and see how many people are driving with their phones in the faces, do they know that it is dangerous to drive while on their cellphones, of course! They say they "can multitask"
Just pull over if you've got an urgent text to reply to, it's pretty simple.

Swa

Honorary Master
It depends on how you use it. I hear those sexbots are quite popular.

Happy Days

Because you have to look at them more often (distracted driving), and they might give too much info (information overload).

I do not need to take my eyes of the road to change between the 6 preset radio channels in my car due to it using 6 physical buttons, with the nice big volume/on-off button in between.
Read the article.

Touch screens are distracting, as they require you to look at the screen to interact with it and find the information or controls you are looking for. There is no tactile feedback.

A physical button or dial is always there, and always does the same function. You can use it without having to look at it.
Comes down to good ol' muscle memory. Your body can respond far quicker when having to deal with a physical object than having to process first and then respond.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The problem is not the tech, people are the problem.
Look on the road and see how many people are driving with their phones in the faces, do they know that it is dangerous to drive while on their cellphones, of course! They say they "can multitask"
Just pull over if you've got an urgent text to reply to, it's pretty simple.
What about people driving with in ear earphones, they cannot hear sirens or nothing, do their cars not have speakers and aux ports?

Rabobi

Executive Member
I personally prefer a nice big screen and steering wheel controls.

I also cannot stand talking to the car. Just not my thing.

+1 to HUD

Thor

Honorary Master
2 more years and you'll start to see Google ads in there.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
My 6 year old car with no touch screen can completely be voice controlled if need be - with the added benefit of physical buttons.
My 2005 and 2007 cars are completely voice-controlled already. SWAMBO says do this or that and the dummy behind the steering wheel presses the right button. :p:oops: