Why touch screens in vehicles are a bad idea

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I love all the outrage in this thread because of Touch screen information systems, yet everyone forgets the fact that people have smartphones, many sending messages and talking on their smartphones while driving, which is even more dangerous overall.
Well, that's illegal, so there is that.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I love all the outrage in this thread because of Touch screen information systems, yet everyone forgets the fact that people have smartphones, many sending messages and talking on their smartphones while driving, which is even more dangerous overall.
The point is this stupid idea is encouraging and aggravating that behaviour. Nothing makes it justifiable. It is time the regsxwere changed outlawing certain technological changes to vehicles that are not necessary. All this is driven by the belief that cars MUST change to remain relevant in the market place.
The abuse of technology for corporate greed is rampant. Just see what is happening to Boeing for another example.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
LoL,

Been driving around using a Sansui media player. Watch some old anime while I drive.

Or some EDM music vids.

Genisys

Executive Member
The point is this stupid idea is encouraging and aggravating that behaviour. Nothing makes it justifiable. It is time the regsxwere changed outlawing certain technological changes to vehicles that are not necessary. All this is driven by the belief that cars MUST change to remain relevant in the market place.
The abuse of technology for corporate greed is rampant. Just see what is happening to Boeing for another example.
Its not a stupid idea, people don't have self control, that isn't the fault of car manufacturers.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Because you have to look at them more often (distracted driving), and they might give too much info (information overload).

I do not need to take my eyes of the road to change between the 6 preset radio channels in my car due to it using 6 physical buttons, with the nice big volume/on-off button in between.
You might not need to, but 99% of people still do.

So seems like a false logic to me.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Most cars with touchscreens has buttons on the steering wheel that can change the station and the volume. Sometimes even more than that. You don't need to look down when driving to do that.

This new audi fad of making the climate control and related features touch screen needs you to take your eyes off the road though, that I'll agree on.
And yet most people would look at the climate controls while changing them, regardless of what type of button they are.

Now if someone argued that some touch setups aren’t as accurate (some really suck) and a button press isn’t guaranteed then that I could follow as a logic but the whole concept of taking your eyes off the road is silly.

To solve that we would need to remove all buttons.

But I do agree touch buttons for the sake of touch buttons are unnecessary. I just don’t agree that they make a meaningful difference to distraction.

Craig

Honorary Master
And yet most people would look at the climate controls while changing them, regardless of what type of button they are.

Now if someone argued that some touch setups aren’t as accurate (some really suck) and a button press isn’t guaranteed then that I could follow as a logic but the whole concept of taking your eyes off the road is silly.

To solve that we would need to remove all buttons.
It takes but a moment to look down and change the CC. On my wife's car I don't even need to look. On my car it's a quick look. But just go take a look at how complicated those fancy new Audi CC systems are. Those will require you to do quite a bit of fiddling.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
My smartphone disables itself the moment it connects to the car specifically to force me to use the touchscreen/voice system instead because it’s safer.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It takes but a moment to look down and change the CC. On my wife's car I don't even need to look. On my car it's a quick look. But just go take a look at how complicated those fancy new Audi CC systems are. Those will require you to do quite a bit of fiddling.
Only because you aren’t use to it.

Spend a few days with it and it will be second nature just like your current car.

Climate Control being what it is you have to look away to see what the temperature is being set to so the logic of being able to do it blindly is bullshit.

Swa

Honorary Master
Its not a stupid idea, people don't have self control, that isn't the fault of car manufacturers.
That's not what it's about. A touch control is distracting while it's easier to change a few dials.