Why touch screens in vehicles are a bad idea

access

Honorary Master
knobs and dials. a quick search says adjusting the radio is the leading cause in distracted driving accidents.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
knobs and dials. a quick search says adjusting the radio is the leading cause in distracted driving accidents.
I would have put cellphones there, I've never observed a near miss or other traffic incident where I saw someone glancing down to the radio, normally a phone would be the culprit. I would believe that it would have been the top cause before cellphones were a thing though.

Surv0

Executive Member
My car has a touch screen, but also voice controls if you dont want to use it, or steering wheel controls. The system even reads out my SMS's. There really isnt anything else you can do except playing with the Satnav system, which is locked while driving anyway. And Im not driving a few hundred million $ ship.

access

Honorary Master
I would have put cellphones there, I've never observed a near miss or other traffic incident where I saw someone glancing down to the radio, normally a phone would be the culprit. I would believe that it would have been the top cause before cellphones were a thing though.
yeah well its what the stats say on the various sites, they reckon cellphone use is the most dangerous because of the amount of attention it requires, but the most common cause is radio use.

come to think of it, before cellphones were a thing, there were these road safety adverts where i can still remember the line, "all i did was look down at the radio for a second", we all know it can take a split second of distraction for an accident to happen.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yeah kind of agree with them.

Also physical buttons are better.
Precisely, because you do not have to look to feel for the right button . With a touch screen, you have to look where to poke the screen!
Sorry for you all, until driving becomes completely automatic, touch screens are just not on.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Precisely, because you do not have to look to feel for the right button . With a touch screen, you have to look where to poke the screen!
Sorry for you all, until driving becomes completely automatic, touch screens are just not on.
Amature hour. Touch screens are only distracting if you have the attention span of a 5 y/o

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Amature hour. Touch screens are only distracting if you have the attention span of a 5 y/o
To be fair they are looking out for Joe Average who generally is an idiot.

The same types of people who crash cars because the "cruise control failed" and want to sue the manufacturer....yet the real reason is that they didn't know what the **** they were doing.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Alternatively, this might be a grand plan of Nature to see to it that the technology we humans deploy will lead to our demise as a species this doing the earth a favour .... In that case, go ahead deploy and use these things but then stop worrying about road deaths and accidents.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I will however concede that the app I use for music in my car that just alows you to swipe left and right to skip is kind of handy, what is even better is you can control the app through the car radio which makes quickly navigating and running through song lists much easier than scrolling on the screen.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Sounds like a good solution for the radio in a vehicle Hmmm maybe there are a few applications that make sense.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Sounds like a good solution for the radio in a vehicle Hmmm maybe there are a few applications that make sense.
Nothing beats a nice big display for navigation. Radio and music is more distracting, no question