Why using a mobile phone while driving is so dangerous - even when you’re hands-free

Thor

Honorary Master
I am against people using phones in the car.

genetic

Honorary Master
I saw a young girl in a Fiat Palio drive right into the back of a C-Class Mercedes last year on Helen Suzman Blvd out of town. She was on her phone texting...

When the Merc driver got out and confronted her she burst into tears and cried blue murder. She said that the Merc had slammed on brakes. Unfortunately for her there were two witnesses (myself and another driver). I had seen her texting on her phone continuously from Sea Point, and I literally watched her drive into the Merc with her head down to her phone.

Texting and driving is more dangerous than being on the phone and driving IMO. Not that I condone the latter.

Thor

Honorary Master
I'm ok with it - unless it is the driver and he/she is using it while driving the car.
Same goes to the passenger seat "look at this", "listen to this", "Did you know" etc.

Ryansr

Expert Member
I'm convinced that this is true. Add my vote for further cellphone usage restrictions for these people.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
I agree with this. The amount of times I've seen people do stupid **** in their car, even with a hands free is amazing. People will be so focused on chatting to their friends that they will miss their turn off or get lost and then swerve at the last minute to take their exit. Hands free just encourages more talking on the phone in the car for longer time periods.

At the end of the day people can't focus on more than one task. If you are driving you should not be allowed to use the phone unless it is for GPS.

garyc

Expert Member
And then there was the German teenager who drove into a column of tanks while texting. Yes, it can be distracting.

potd-tank-v-car_3326168b.jpg

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I saw a young girl in a Fiat Palio drive right into the back of a C-Class Mercedes last year on Helen Suzman Blvd out of town. She was on her phone texting...

When the Merc driver got out and confronted her she burst into tears and cried blue murder. She said that the Merc had slammed on brakes. Unfortunately for her there were two witnesses (myself and another driver). I had seen her texting on her phone continuously from Sea Point, and I literally watched her drive into the Merc with her head down to her phone.

Texting and driving is more dangerous than being on the phone and driving IMO. Not that I condone the latter.
This and it's fast becoming one of my pet hates when I see these love struck wenches texting their boyfriends at robots.

WhatsApp has sadly become an addiction where people would rather risk their lives than not answer or text messages.

Devinity

I don't have an issue with hands-free.

It really annoys me when people drive slowly in the fast and leaving huge gaps because they are texting or chatting on their phones.

What troubles me too is when a car is driving slowly because there is a passenger in the car and the driver feels the need to look at the passenger to chat instead of just looking ahead and driving while talking.