Why White and Indian students need higher marks to study medicine in South Africa

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
This quota system has been around for a long time. I got in at UKZN for medicine back in 2001 but decided to study another field. (Indian) Had 5 A's and 2 C's (languages). The average of my 5 A's was 98% though.

Kilgore_Trout_Redux

Executive Member
I wonder how the average black person feels about the fact that the ANC doesn't believe blacks can compete intellectually on merit against whites and Indians.

SammyD

Expert Member
This quota system has been around for a long time. I got in at UKZN for medicine back in 2001 but decided to study another field. (Indian) Had 5 A's and 2 C's (languages). The average of my 5 A's was 98% though.

How the hell did you get into medicine with make like that. My friend didn't get in with 7 A's (black friend)

midnightcaller

Expert Member
A (white) work colleague's daughter wants to study medicine. But the reality is that she will not get in because of quotas like this.

He packed up and moved to NZ. Can't blame him. I would do the same if I was in his shoes.

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
Chaaro here. We need more universities. As much as I hate the quota system - i think its necessary. Id probably feel differently if I had my own kids though.

Gnome

Executive Member
LOL, this is going to have the opposite effect it should.
Everyone will simply consider black people inferior, because as the data show, they in fact will be.