Why you could be working from home permanently thanks to COVID-19

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Why you could be working from home permanently thanks to COVID-19

The COVID-19 pandemic forced South African businesses to implement remote working, and when MyBroadband spoke with several top local businesses in April, they believed it was here to stay.

Euphoria Telecom CEO John Woollam predicted that about 30% of South African businesses would implement some form of remote working policy after the pandemic is over.

now05ster

Expert Member
Bring it in. Our bosses (a large corporate) are already making plans to consolidate office space nationally. It just make sense to continue with this trend if you have already invested in the technology to facilitate this.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Intending to WFH as long as there's still daily infections of COVID-19 in my area. According to current labour law that covers pandemics liked this, no employer can knowingly force an employee in non-essential services to come to a physical office space if the employee is at risk of infection due to improper implementation of mitigating preventative infection control measures or unavailable PPE's.

The employee can exercise the right to take their health care and well-being into their own hands by showing the employer that they can perform their duties just as good from their home office. In my case the employer did not even provide an upgrade to already old equipment (7 years old) that is in violation of their 5 yearly internal tech refresh policy therefor I'm now using my own through VPN. Also currently able to keep up through the virtual meeting platforms with daily duties and reports to management. Demands has also increased since my immediate manager has taken up a post in another part of the company.

Last edited:

jcode

Job postings still need to reflect this. I haven't seen remote only positions. This is after 6 months of lockdown.

Lupus

Honorary Master
My office is still doing wfh till February 2021, there are some benefits.

semaj

It’s time to get back to work. WFH will not work long term.

semaj

Why would you make a bold statement like this? I don't see an issue with working from home?

It’s just my personal opinion. After the novelty wore off I saw the culture, communication and productivity start to break down in my teams.

Genisys

Honorary Master
It’s just my personal opinion. After the novelty wore off I saw the culture, communication and productivity start to break down in my teams.
Those issues will exist in all teams, regardless of working from home or not.

stefan9

Executive Member
Will be working from home for a very long time to come . Working from home these last few months has shown our company that 90% of our teams can do it efficiently and they can save loads on rent from going this route.

fruitbat

Expert Member
WFH is great. It’s removed issues where we were excluded from meetings and sessions with parts of the business in other parts of the country. Now we are all equal and able to participate.
The only real challenge is slackers or peeps that need to be performance managed. But we are figuring it out...
No real plans to go back to 5 days a week at my old desk ever while I work for my current company.