Why you could be working from home permanently thanks to COVID-19

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
In my experience those are the same employees that never spent much time working at work in the first place.
That is true, but they take it to a whole new level once they aren't required to be in the office. I'd rather not elaborate now, but maybe in a few months if they get fired i can tell some crazy stories...

Grassnyer

Expert Member
I can see both sides of the coin. We also have a bad apple on our team. Online at exactly the core hours (only after being forced to be online at least during those hours).

When you need to communicate, it takes forever to get a response giving the idea that the apple is not actually at their computer. The rest of our team has adapted well and performs really well.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
I find that working form home is more stressful...you constantly feel you have not done enough, until the deadline or your boss sends you a long list of things to deliver on...in a way, it is probably better that email records are shared to show top is pulling bottom and bottom is delivering...using calendar schedules and reminding people of their deliverables.

Overall, working from homes means we have to enable staff to be productive and accountable.

Oh, for those not on the road, thank you for saving the environment too!

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
I find that working form home is more stressful...you constantly feel you have not done enough, until the deadline or your boss sends you a long list of things to deliver on...in a way, it is probably better that email records are shared to show top is pulling bottom and bottom is delivering...using calendar schedules and reminding people of their deliverables.

Overall, working from homes means we have to enable staff to be productive and accountable.

Oh, for those not on the road, thank you for saving the environment too!
Yeah, work form is not the same as work from. Could be stressful

Napalm2880

Expert Member
WFH is actually more about good management than good employees. Unfortunately many corporates have managers that have simply stayed at the company long enough to become part of management or they were loud and obnoxious enough to have shifted into that kind of position.

WFH is a complete shift from what I like to call "bums in seats" - where if you're at your desk and on time, you're considered productive. This management style originates from the industrial revolution and is for sweaty factory workers pressing metal, stamping punch cards for time management. This type of management is wholly unsuited for the knowledge workers of today.

To manage WFH, you need to manage deliverables and importantly the quality of those deliverables. It's about acknowledging innovations and process improvements. Managers should be rewarding employees who estimate and set expectations correctly, deliver on or before the deadline, and provide value to customers - and by rewarding employees, I don't mean by giving them more work :X3:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I can see both sides of the coin. We also have a bad apple on our team. Online at exactly the core hours (only after being forced to be online at least during those hours).

When you need to communicate, it takes forever to get a response giving the idea that the apple is not actually at their computer. The rest of our team has adapted well and performs really well.
The thing with bad apples is it doesn't matter whether they're at home or the office. If they were at the office you'll find them constantly at the coffee machine, walking the corridors, or hardly at their desk anyway...

Drifter

Honorary Master
We were told we might return next year, but there is a lot being said that WFH is permanent.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
We've been told it's permanent. I wonder how long it'll be before tax laws are amended to limit the claims on office space...

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I miss the office, been working remotely for month's at a time for a couple years now and the time at the office was a way of recharging the social batteries for the remote months that followed.
The start of the lockdown was pretty cool in that I didn't feel so going it alone.
My department will be working from home for 2020 at the least.
Flexibility is great though, being able to work from any country.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Multichoice allocated R80 million for salaries during lockdown, including their freelancers. As much as I dislike them they get some credit in my books.
I wasnt aware of that, but its pretty cool of them.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Employer should weigh the cost of keeping staff in an office vs. cost of working from home. If WFH means being connected and online, then those costs should naturally be covered to enable that process to happen.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Employer should weigh the cost of keeping staff in an office vs. cost of working from home. If WFH means being connected and online, then those costs should naturally be covered to enable that process to happen.
We'll be getting dedicated fibre lines installed, which will be preconfigured onto the company network.

This is probably to prevent people ordering 1Gbps lines to download their Linux ISOs and claiming back from the company...

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
We'll be getting dedicated fibre lines installed, which will be preconfigured onto the company network.

This is probably to prevent people ordering 1Gbps lines to download their Linux ISOs and claiming back from the company...
Wouldn't it just be easier for company policy to be that they don't reimburse the extra costs over a 50mbps line (for example)?

powermzii

Expert Member

How would this work? And is this more from a security perspective or? As mentioned in another post, wouldn't it be easier to limit amount that can be claimed for Internet?

Swa

Honorary Master
How would this work? And is this more from a security perspective or? As mentioned in another post, wouldn't it be easier to limit amount that can be claimed for Internet?
I'm guessing it's routing all traffic to a VPN on the company network. Unless it's for security that is imo counter productive as it places extra strain on the company connections.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
To be honest I don't even think it's mainly about the claims, as we were provided with 3G cards pre-lockdown if we wanted to work from home. Having company-provided internet just happens to cut down on claims.

Turns out that with WFH becoming permanent, people were hitting their data cap too soon. And VPN stability was not great on these connections.

I've personally always had uncapped fibre and saw no need to claim it back. I would have had it WFH or not, so it's no extra cost to me to use it for work...

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
To be honest I don't even think it's mainly about the claims, as we were provided with 3G cards pre-lockdown if we wanted to work from home. Having company-provided internet just happens to cut down on claims.

Turns out that with WFH becoming permanent, people were hitting their data cap too soon. And VPN stability was not great on these connections.

I've personally always had uncapped fibre and saw no need to claim it back. I would have had it WFH or not, so it's no extra cost to me to use it for work...
Yeah we're finding people need at least a 60GB data cap if they're 100% WFH and most 3G or 4G packages are much less than that, in addition as you stated the VPN stability issues.