Why you don't really have free will

Bobbin

Executive Member
Ja, no sorry I can't help you.
I mean, free will might exist in that place of uncertainty... i.e. an algorithm requires precise data and the "decision" is therefore autonomous whereas the brain has to deal with X/the future/incomplete data and cannot be autonomous in order for a decision to occur?

*scratches head

But then again a mesh of associations just means ... starcraft AI deepmind + incomplete data ... ahhhh f*** it. I'm done lol. Going for lunch. I will never understand how free will works.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I mean, free will might exist in that place of uncertainty... i.e. an algorithm requires precise data and the "decision" is therefore autonomous whereas the brain has to deal with X/the future/incomplete data and cannot be autonomous in order for a decision to occur?

*scratches head

But then again a mesh of associations just means ... starcraft AI + incomplete data ... ahhhh f*** it. I'm done lol. Going for lunch.
Can you decide things? Make a decision? Is it you or are someone/thing pulling your strings?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Predetermined data and the processing of the current situation. The "decision" is purely a mechanical physical result. Like when lightning "decides" to hit that house or this tree.
That processing is to broad. It could include free will, so I don't disagree.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think you need to digest that humble pie first, because it seems your brain is lacking a full supply of oxygen.

@rietrot - this was directed at your post #203

Last edited:

rietrot

Honorary Master
you asking people who think consciousness is an illusion, to explain something to you
Just Splinter's usual tactics. If stuff goes way over his head he will just jump around and claim victory anyway.