Why you don't really have free will

Prawnapple

Expert Member
There. Free will. How difficult was that.
It's very likely we're having an issue with the definition of the term free will. Would you like to provide a definition with which we both can agree?

Do you believe you have full control over your actions?

rietrot

Honorary Master
It's very likely we're having an issue with the definition of the term free will. Would you like to provide a definition with which we both can agree?

Do you believe you have full control over your actions?
Free will is the ability to choose between different possible courses of action

Prawnapple

Expert Member
That's a very open definition, if we were to go with that definition, then I guess everyone has free will. However, I would argue that you cannot make a decision other than the decision you made. Reason being, prior causes got you to the point in which you made that decision. Would you agree?

rietrot

Honorary Master
That's a very open definition, if we were to go with that definition, then I guess everyone has free will. However, I would argue that you cannot make a decision other than the decision you made. Reason being, prior causes got you to the point in which you made that decision. Would you agree?
Well obviously. Nobody ever claimed you can go and change the past. You get to make each decision only once at a time.

saturnz

Honorary Master

yeah I would say choosing between violating the social contract or not

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Well obviously. Nobody ever claimed you can go and change the past. You get to make each decision only once at a time.
Okay well it's comforting knowing you're not a proponent of libertarian free will. I.e. a view incompatible with causal determinism.

Gingerbeardman

Executive Member
That's not what he's saying. He's saying that external factors control the decision you'll make.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
That's not what he's saying. He's saying that external factors control the decision you'll make.
To be fair, not only external, all internal factors as well. There's probably millions if not trillions of changes happening in your body right now. From the very vibrations and movements of the atoms that make you, to the millions of complex biological processes too.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think it's a very limited definition. I've read of basic robot type creations that "learn" to make choices.

And different possible courses of action? What if those "different courses" are limited. For example, indoctrinated christians have to believe in god, otherwise they go to hell.

Gingerbeardman

Executive Member
To be fair, not only external, all internal factors as well. There's probably millions if not trillions of changes happening in your body right now. From the very vibrations and movements of the atoms that make you, to the millions of complex biological processes too.
These are external to your consciousness.