Why you don't really have free will

Ponderer

Expert Member
Is that really the case for "true" randomness? Why would the balls pass through each other and not obey the laws of physics?

Key word here I think is seemingly

Probably not, that's why I don't believe there is such a thing as "true random". Perhaps somebody can demonstrate true randomness to us?
Care to explain the difference between "true random" and "random".

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
If no free will was depicted in a game of pool, the players would have no choice in selecting their shots.
See how silly/stupid/moronic the "there is no such thing as free will" thing is?
I'll bite.

Lets say one person has "no choice" and the other has a "choice" in playing their shots. You are watching them play. How do they differ in their shots and gameplay?

Splinter

Honorary Master
"evidence"

why the quotation marks, have you got actual evidence or not?
We've discussed this before dude. You refused to comment, admit or deny. And for your education:

"Quotation marks are used to indicate the beginning and end of a quote. They tell the reader when you've used written material from other sources or direct speech."

I was quoting you, obviously.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Anyway, rather than filling the void in saturnz's life, I'm more interested in hearing from ponderer.

Ponderer

Expert Member
After you define free will for us.
You need to take the baby-steps first.
I suggest that you first try to learn/understand what a fact is, and that you only try to learn/understand more advanced things after you mastered the basics.

saturnz

Honorary Master
We've discussed this before dude. You refused to comment, admit or deny. And for your education:

"Quotation marks are used to indicate the beginning and end of a quote. They tell the reader when you've used written material from other sources or direct speech."

I was quoting you, obviously.

you making the accusation, you have to provide your evidence

I don't need to co-operate in your accusation

amazing how atheists want evidence for everything relating to a god, but make accusations as they please with nothing to back up their claims

Splinter

Honorary Master
you making the accusation, you have to provide your evidence

I don't need to co-operate in your accusation

amazing how atheists want evidence for everything relating to a god, but make accusations as they please with nothing to back up their claims
Asked and answered.

Splinter

Honorary Master
You need to take the baby-steps first.
I suggest that you first try to learn/understand what a fact is, and that you only try to learn/understand more advanced things after you mastered the basics.
You should have called yourself Regurgitator, not Ponderer.

Ponder on that ;)

Prawnapple

Expert Member
If no free will was depicted in a game of pool, the players would have no choice in selecting their shots.
See how silly/stupid/moronic the "there is no such thing as free will" thing is?
Does the phrase, "you are free to do what you will, but you are not free to will what you will", mean anything to you?

It's what you used (caused you) to respond to the post.
You chose (exercised free will) to respond to the post.
Get it?
So is it what you used or what caused you? There's a major difference there and a distinction to be made. You don't get to "be caused" and to "chose" simultaneously.

Ponderer

Expert Member
I'll bite.

Lets say one person has "no choice" and the other has a "choice" in playing their shots. You are watching them play. How do they differ in their shots and gameplay?
Not sure what your argument is.
A pool player's options are limited, but that does not imply that a pool player does not use/exercise free will to choose what shot to play and/or how to play it.

Ponderer

Expert Member
Does the phrase, "you are free to do what you will, but you are not free to will what you will", mean anything to you?

So is it what you used or what caused you? There's a major difference there and a distinction to be made. You don't get to "be caused" and to "chose" simultaneously.
Does the phrase "you cannot prevent a bird from flying over you, but you can prevent it from nesting on your shoulder" mean anything to you?
You understand?
You cannot prevent experiencing certain things, but you nevertheless have free will whether or not to do certain things.

Last edited:

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Not sure what your argument is.
A pool player's options are limited, but that does not imply that a pool player does not use/exercise free will to choose what shot to play and/or how to play it.
Just answer the question.