Why you don't really have free will

Techne

Honorary Master
Free will denialism is a cult kept alive by people that does not and/or cannot define free will but vehemently denies it exists.

That which you cannot define you cannot negate.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Free will denialism is a cult kept alive by people that does not and/or cannot define free will but vehemently denies it exists.

This would justify any single concept under the sun that I cannot define as being worthy of the same scrutiny as free will. Not a bloody chance. You want us all going nuts? lol

hmmm... I cannot define the colour called "lajsdhfkl;djhaf"... shall we explore that? :ROFL: I mean it could exist right?

Techne

Honorary Master
This would justify any single concept under the sun that I cannot define as being worthy of the same scrutiny as free will. Not a bloody chance. You want us all going nuts? lol

hmmm... I cannot define the colour called "lajsdhfkl;djhaf"... shall we explore that? :ROFL: I mean it could exist right?
You cannot say anything about that which you cannot define. Simple stuff really.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Well, logically speaking, it is extremely difficult to understand where the chain of causality breaks exactly during a decision making event. To be disconnected from the events preceding the moment of choice, which is a requirement to be free of all physical influence and thus have free will,
No. That last part is absolutist nonsense.
Free will is simply the option/power to make the choice. And on the absolute side you have complete free will. If you don't want to play the game anymore you even have the choice to just end yourself.

There's more free will than not.

rietrot

Honorary Master
The funny thing is, when theists say there is "free will" - No there's not. If your god really is all knowing, all powerful and is everywhere, there's nothing you can do which he wouldn't be aware of and know of beforehand, as well as the results of the decision you've made. If he doesn't, well then he's not all powerful and all knowing in which case... ya...
Always the atheist that need to bring god into it.
Lol, rejecting reality, because you are scared of something you don't believe in. It's priceless.

Bobbin

Executive Member
No. That last part is absolutist nonsense.
Free will is simply the option/power to make the choice. And on the absolute side you have complete free will. If you don't want to play the game anymore you even have the choice to just end yourself.

There's more free will than not.
I'm sorry but you haven't explained how it is nonsense here and you seem to just be ignoring or misunderstanding the problem I raised :/

Ponderer

Expert Member
I'm sorry but you haven't explained how it is nonsense here and you seem to just be ignoring or misunderstanding the problem I raised :/
Can you please explain the purpose of advertising if there is no such thing as free will?

<edit>
Also.
If it is argued that free will is but an illusion, can it then not equally be argued that it is an illusion that free will does not exist.

The whole "free will does not exist" thing is so stupid that you must be a complete moron or a brainwashed zealot to believe it.

Last edited:

Bobbin

Executive Member
Can you please explain the purpose of advertising if there is no such thing as free will?

<edit>
Also.
If it is argued that free will is but an illusion, can it then not equally be argued that it is an illusion that free will does not exist.

The whole "free will does not exist" thing is so stupid that you must be a complete moron or a brainwashed zealot to believe it.
I think I explained my problem very well on post #120. Please refer back to that.

Ponderer

Expert Member
I think I explained my problem very well on post #120. Please refer back to that.
Do you think free will exists, or do you think that free will does not exist.
Don't bother to answer if you don't know.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Do you think free will exists, or do you think that free will does not exist.
Don't bother to answer if you don't know.
You clearly did not read post #120, see the conclusion. Thus I won't bother answering.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Post #120 depicts the confusion it raises for me which I simply cannot seem to resolve. I haven't really considered any purpose behind it but I just wish it made sense, I suppose that's purpose enough. Maybe our universe is just an "unbalanced equation" and cannot inherently make sense. Maybe time/flow/change/evolution is a result of an unbalanced equation.

Anyway, thanks for that question. It made me think :) 'twas a bloody good question I will give you that.

grok

Honorary Master
Always the atheist that need to bring god into it.
Lol, rejecting reality, because you are scared of something you don't believe in. It's priceless.
We cannot refer to the puppet master in a discussion about freedom of puppets?

Dee..
Nia..
Uhl..

It's not even that river in Egypt ne!

Splinter

Honorary Master

Define science.