Why you need to upgrade your Internet browser – now!

ronald911

Expert Member
Is it just me, or is the article loading in MyBB Mobile?

But other than that, Running IE6 is pretty much useless for anyone.. Firefox FTW :)

rogerwe

The sad thing is, people that read myBB and this forum are extremely like to be tech savvy. Its the old man who barely knows how to switch on the PC that needs this advice.

Even if non-tech savvy people DO read this article, do you think they even know how to upgrade their internet browser?

I did my bit and upgraded my parents and parent-in-laws to chrome.

infoseeker

I know a huge IT company whose staff PC's still run Windows 2000 :wtf: and needless to say IE6 on a LOT of them.

Draconia2

Expert Member
if a person doesnt know what browser they have ....

They should'nt be using a pc.

My dad is'nt too tech savvy but even he knows chrome + FF is cool :)

johanopperman

From my experiences, a lot of the non-tech savvy people believe that Internet Explorer is actually the internet.

I've tried to explain to some of these people why I prefer my browser (Opera), installed it on their computer, showed them the advantages of using Opera (or Firefox, Chrome etc. for that matter) instead of IE. Next time I get to their computer, they're back on IE. Asking them why, the answer is simply "Because I want to use the internet, and this program is the internet - look even the name says "Internet").

It's usually these people who can't understand that you can simply type an address in the address bar. When you tell them to look at eg. "www.mybroadband.co.za" first thing for them is to Google www.mybroadband.co.za :D

D.B.Cooper

Expert Member
From my experiences, a lot of the non-tech savvy people believe that Internet Explorer is actually the internet.

I've tried to explain to some of these people why I prefer my browser (Opera), installed it on their computer, showed them the advantages of using Opera (or Firefox, Chrome etc. for that matter) instead of IE. Next time I get to their computer, they're back on IE. Asking them why, the answer is simply "Because I want to use the internet, and this program is the internet - look even the name says "Internet").

It's usually these people who can't understand that you can simply type an address in the address bar. When you tell them to look at eg. "www.mybroadband.co.za" first thing for them is to Google www.mybroadband.co.za :D
These people are also the reason spam is still going strong and why phishing does in fact work as intended (on them.) Most likely, their PC is also part of a botnet.

bekdik

Honorary Master
In the corporate world IT is not normally the same driving force it is in the techie world.

For some stupid reason they take the maxim 'íf it ain't broke, don't fix it' very seriously; possibly because theyve heard the IT dept. say 'this won't cause any problems' too often, so why risk the business to keep IT happy?

Also, any system change requires a full on change control test which can be extremely expensive.

deadlikeme

In the corporate world IT is not normally the same driving force it is in the techie world.

For some stupid reason they take the maxim 'íf it ain't broke, don't fix it' very seriously; possibly because theyve heard the IT dept. say 'this won't cause any problems' too often, so why risk the business to keep IT happy?

Also, any system change requires a full on change control test which can be extremely expensive.
I have to agree with the driving force part but the usual problem with moving forward are two things.
First people hate change.
Second and mostlikey the bigger reason is in house programs etc that will need to be redone for them to work.

Logo

"And we all know how IT guys love their standards."

This line irks me. The only "IT guys" that does not allow IE 6 to be upgraded are in fact the ones that don't know the first thing about standards. Any even halfway decent IT guy, will not only allow IE 6 to be upgraded but will in fact insist on it. They will even go further and upgrade IE 6 company wide through whatever means they have available.

I have seen companies enforce policies on what browsers to use and what can and can't be installed on work PCs but I am yet to meet an IT support team that limits or insists on them using IE 6. If your IT department does that fire the bloody lot of them.

From my experience it is in fact the users, and sorry to point them out but especially the older users, who are steadfastly sticking with IE 6. They are comfortable with it and are so resistant to any form of change. They don't care about the back-end servers and how their beloved IE6 causes endless headaches, all they want is that it works with what they have. And beware if you do upgrade their browser, because I promise a week down the line Google will have a short outage and they won't be able to access Gmail, then you will have to hear how this never happened before the upgrade and that this is all your fault.

Thank goodness my days of user support is long gone.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
if a person doesnt know what browser they have ....
They should'nt be using a pc.
I disagree. I just make sure that non tech savvy people know to always accept all updates incl "recommended" ones in windowsupdate, and they're cool. MS pushed out IE8 in Windows XP Windowsupdate AGES ago... You actually have to go out your way to NOT have IE6 replaced on an XP box! From Vista onwards, it even updates your device drivers occasionally. Great for clueless users.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
The sad thing is, people that read myBB and this forum are extremely like to be tech savvy. Its the old man who barely knows how to switch on the PC that needs this advice.

Even if non-tech savvy people DO read this article, do you think they even know how to upgrade their internet browser?

I did my bit and upgraded my parents and parent-in-laws to chrome.
LOL - my sister in law is convinced that Chrome steals her passwords so refuses to have it installed...