Why you need to upgrade your Internet browser – now!

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
5% of users isn't that much. I thought the amount would be higher, like 40% or so.

Every PC I use I feel compelled to upgrade the browser, even if I don't use it. It's almost like being in my friend's room where his wardrobe's door is hanging on one hinge. Everytime I look at it I would get a strong urge to fix it, especially if I see him opening the door on one hinge, and ignoring it as if there's nothing wrong. I guess I just get annoyed when I see people content with broken stuff that can easily be fixed.

Garson007

Honorary Master
Every PC I use I feel compelled to upgrade the browser, even if I don't use it. It's almost like being in my friend's room where his wardrobe's door is hanging on one hinge. Everytime I look at it I would get a strong urge to fix it, especially if I see him opening the door on one hinge, and ignoring it as if there's nothing wrong. I guess I just get annoyed when I see people content with broken stuff that can easily be fixed.
Aka OCD. :p

More important than IE6 is the death of anything Windows pre-Vista. Microsoft should really enforce a limited time period for their licences.

Xyber

Firefox and Chrome ftw, Opera is cool too, but IE,, omg. Just finished developing an HTML5+CSS3 wordpress theme and guess which browser renders the site the worse.

K

kingrob

IE6 is the default internet browser bundled with Windows XP, so no wonder that half the world still uses it.

justing

I updated both IE and Firefox, when I wanted to do my internet banking with Nedbank for over a month I was informed that my browsers' were not compatiable. With Firefox 4 having been in beta testing since 2009 it is a poor show on the bank's side that they are not evolving with updates.:crying:

Garson007

Honorary Master
I updated both IE and Firefox, when I wanted to do my internet banking with Nedbank for over a month I was informed that my browsers' were not compatiable. With Firefox 4 having been in beta testing since 2009 it is a poor show on the bank's side that they are not evolving with updates.:crying:
They've recently update their compatibility with IE9.

Blackhand

The first part of every computer literacy course should be how to download, install and use Firefox, Chrome, Opera or Safari. Then a week long reinforcement session on why they should never use IE again.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
The first part of every computer literacy course should be how to download, install and use Firefox, Chrome, Opera or Safari. Then a week long reinforcement session on why they should never use IE again.
Or how to use Windows Update. Nothing wrong with IE9. And don't let a non techie user use Opera, your gran doesn't want to hear "your banking site isn't standards complaint" when she can't do a transfer :)

K

kingrob

Ive been using Chrome since it was first released three years ago....using Chrome 12 now. :)

Only reason I installed IE9 via Windows Update, is to use it for one hour when I do my SARS efiling, and then open it again next year when I submit my next efiling. :p

pjjdp

Expert Member
Ive been using Chrome since it was first released three years ago....using Chrome 12 now. :)

Only reason I installed IE9 via Windows Update, is to use it for one hour when I do my SARS efiling, and then open it again next year when I submit my next efiling. :p
E-Filing works fine on my Chrome after disabling built in PDF reader.

From SARS
"Chrome users please note that the latest version (from 8) of Chrome has come out with a built-in PDF viewer. You need to disable it in order to be able to submit your return through eFiling. To disable it in Chrome: Enter about:plugins in the address bar and click Disable underneath the entry for “Chrome PDF Viewer.” The Adobe Reader plug-in will automatically be enabled, if you have it installed."

Speedster

Executive Member
Could somebody please forward this thread to Nedbank's IT department. I've just received a token for electronic banking and it's not compatible with ANY of my browsers. I've got a Mac and neither Chrome, Firefox or Safari work with the website. I run Win 7 as a VM and have IE9 on that - not compatible either. They recommend IE6!

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
Could somebody please forward this thread to Nedbank's IT department. I've just received a token for electronic banking and it's not compatible with ANY of my browsers. I've got a Mac and neither Chrome, Firefox or Safari work with the website. I run Win 7 as a VM and have IE9 on that - not compatible either. They recommend IE6!
Haha. Start a new thread about them titled: Nedbank Recommends IE6

noswal

Executive Member
Their site says: "How do I encrypt my secure communications with Nedbank?

If you have the browsers Microsoft IE 6 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 2.x or higher, Opera 8 or higher, Safari 3x or higher, Netscape 7x or higher
(all of which are SGC-capable), you’ll be able to access NetBank without any additional software. These browsers supply 128-bit encryption to NetBank, and 40-bit encryption to non-banking sites that require encryption."

and I think Firefox is moving up to 5 very soon....no mention of chrome

K

kingrob

E-Filing works fine on my Chrome after disabling built in PDF reader.

From SARS
"Chrome users please note that the latest version (from 8) of Chrome has come out with a built-in PDF viewer. You need to disable it in order to be able to submit your return through eFiling. To disable it in Chrome: Enter about:plugins in the address bar and click Disable underneath the entry for “Chrome PDF Viewer.” The Adobe Reader plug-in will automatically be enabled, if you have it installed."
Thanks! Haven't been to the SARS efiling web site since last year, so this year I'll be able to complete my efiling with Chrome.

Ok, now there is really no more need for IE9....but I'll keep it for the nostalgia. ;)

*Can't find the setting in Chrome 12. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedster

Executive Member
Their site says: "How do I encrypt my secure communications with Nedbank?

If you have the browsers Microsoft IE 6 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 2.x or higher, Opera 8 or higher, Safari 3x or higher, Netscape 7x or higher
(all of which are SGC-capable), you’ll be able to access NetBank without any additional software. These browsers supply 128-bit encryption to NetBank, and 40-bit encryption to non-banking sites that require encryption."

and I think Firefox is moving up to 5 very soon....no mention of chrome
You're confusing the normal Nedbank internet banking site with the business banking one.