Why you shouldn't pirate software in South Africa

alloytoo

Honorary Master
We have had BSA members and resellers for Microsoft products contact us accusing us of pirating software and wanting us to run audit software on our network, or manually fill out forms with all the software we use on our laptops, servers and phones, as well as the number of employees and electronic devices.

Told them to F off. I know every single copy of Windows and Office we have is legal, and the "cash cow" they were eyeing is a 20 000+ device network they assumed we were running Windows on because they just think everything runs Windows. Told them the burden of proof is on them, and if they want, they are welcome to come to our premises with a lawyer and a legal document, at a time that is convenient for us an they can manually audit all our computers. I'm not doing their job for them.

Was another year until we heard from them again, asking us to do the same thing, and receiving the same response.
Many years ago the BSA was very interested to discover we had 30 or so PCs and only 5 windows licences, they were disappointed to discover that our server was running UNIX and most of the PCs had FreeDOS.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
I bought a cheap US$4 Windows 10 professional key and a US$7 Office 2019 professional key online on eBay. I have the proof of purchase and when activated it, Microsoft had no issue and approved the activation of the software. They can go f**k themselves. Mine is as legit, in a legal transaction, as they come.

airborne

Executive Member
I bought a cheap US$4 Windows 10 professional key and a US$7 Office 2019 professional key online on eBay. I have the proof of purchase and when activated it, Microsoft had no issue and approved the activation of the software. They can go f**k themselves. Mine is as legit, in a legal transaction, as they come.
Lol, says the guy buying an illegally resold Msdn Win 10 license and a Edu Office 2019 Pro. Yeah I'm pretty sure Microsoft will in due course be telling you to go fk yourself with your proof of purchase for your "legit legal" transaction.

Don't worry sooner or later your keys will get blacklisted, don't forget to rate the eBay seller.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Lol, says the guy buying an illegally resold Msdn Win 10 license and a Edu Office 2019 Pro. Yeah I'm pretty sure Microsoft will in due course be telling you to go fk yourself with your proof of purchase for your "legit legal" transaction.

Don't worry sooner or later your keys will get blacklisted, don't forget to rate the eBay seller.
MS can try as much as they want.... they have absolutely no legal recourse.

airborne

Executive Member
MS can try as much as they want.... they have absolutely no legal recourse.
Another fine example of your stellar logic.

I suppose in your world a proof of purchase covers over all sins and eventualities. Lew buys a brand new 55" LCD TV for R1000 that may or may not have fallen off the back of a truck, but gets a proof of purchase so therefore knows he's getting a legal and legit deal, win!!

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Another fine example of your stellar logic.

I suppose in your world a proof of purchase covers over all sins and eventualities. Lew buys a brand new 55" LCD TV for R1000 that may or may not have fallen off the back of a truck, but gets a proof of purchase so therefore knows he's getting a legal and legit deal, win!!
Try again. This is not the same.

Swa

Honorary Master
If MS deactivates a key just use Windows Loader. It's better to use Windows Loader in any case rather than deal with a flawed activation process as plenty of Win10 users found out when their copy suddenly became "non-legit" for no reason. If a key was bought legally there's no legal recourse they could have.

airborne

Executive Member
Try again. This is not the same.
Illuminate us please because the item bought may be different but the underlying premise is the same.

If MS deactivates a key just use Windows Loader. It's better to use Windows Loader in any case rather than deal with a flawed activation process as plenty of Win10 users found out when their copy suddenly became "non-legit" for no reason. If a key was bought legally there's no legal recourse they could have.
You first have to define "legally". Buying a license key from some random eBay seller doesn't automatically guarantee that the license is legit. I would have assumed that point is obvious but stating it just so there's no confusion.

For instance in addition to Msdn and Edu keys being sold on eBay there have been cases of people selling Windows license keys pulled/stolen off corporate pcs where the individual os were never online activated, for sure you'd have a proof of purchase and the key would initially activate but you'd have no recourse with Ms if the keys were blacklisted.

Buying ill gotten goods and having proof of purchase thereof doesn't make them legit or legal.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I have subscriptions to Office 365, Adobe Creative Cloud, Spotify, Netflix, DStv, YouTube Premium and I buy all my games, books and other software legally. Despite that, I still pirate stuff. Until Hollywood stops giving films massively delayed global releases and stops making it impossible to affordably access the films you want, I have no issue pirating films.

I watch pretty much every single major cinematic release at the movies in the first week, so I don't particularly care about pirating films when I've already contributed to them at the time they most need support. The film industry is years behind the times with its home distribution setup and deserves no sympathy from anyone.

Swa

Honorary Master
You first have to define "legally". Buying a license key from some random eBay seller doesn't automatically guarantee that the license is legit. I would have assumed that point is obvious but stating it just so there's no confusion.

For instance in addition to Msdn and Edu keys being sold on eBay there have been cases of people selling Windows license keys pulled/stolen off corporate pcs where the individual os were never online activated, for sure you'd have a proof of purchase and the key would initially activate but you'd have no recourse with Ms if the keys were blacklisted.

Buying ill gotten goods and having proof of purchase thereof doesn't make them legit or legal.
Sure but those don't make up the majority just like most cheap tv's didn't fall off the back of a truck. It's mostly licenses intended for pc builds and educational and MS can't legally stop you from using those as they can't say for what purpose you're using it.

airborne

Executive Member
Sure but those don't make up the majority just like most cheap tv's didn't fall off the back of a truck. It's mostly licenses intended for pc builds and educational and MS can't legally stop you from using those as they can't say for what purpose you're using it.
The Windows 10 Licenses and Office flooding everywhere for stupid prices are not from pc builds aka prices as mentioned in a post above "US$4 Windows 10 professional key and a US$7 Office 2019 professional key online on eBay" (and the same but R150-R300 on bidorbuy). Rather they are typically Msdn licenses(for developers) which can be Os or Office and the Office 365 are Educational licenses, neither of which can be resold.

Eventually Ms gets wind of a range of keys that have been illicitly sold or used for non educational use and they get blacklisted.

Read up on Msdn and educational licensing then you'll understand why they can't be sold or used outside of education purposes and they have ways of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Once an Msdn account is blacklisted all the keys linked to the account are also blacklisted and likewise an educational institution will audit their student registry after Ms detects unusual amounts of educational license requests from them and any keys on non-current or phantom student accounts will get deactivated. Or they will do that on a yearly basis and deactivate keys for non current or phantom students, same end result. If you have a 365 account when that happens everything in the cloud is lost for the user account in question.

genetic

Honorary Master
Eventually Ms gets wind of a range of keys that have been illicitly sold or used for non educational use and they get blacklisted.
I had this exact issue.

Bought a Win 10 Pro CD Key off eBay in April 2017 for $9,99, just to have it fail on me in Jan last year. Got the "you may be a victim of software piracy" message and request to activate Windows. Nothing worked other than 'cracking' Windows.

Managed to get an unused OEM copy of Win 7 Pro from work and upgrade to Win 10 for free, but those cheap CD keys are a scam.

Swa

Honorary Master
The Windows 10 Licenses and Office flooding everywhere for stupid prices are not from pc builds aka prices as mentioned in a post above "US$4 Windows 10 professional key and a US$7 Office 2019 professional key online on eBay" (and the same but R150-R300 on bidorbuy). Rather they are typically Msdn licenses(for developers) which can be Os or Office and the Office 365 are Educational licenses, neither of which can be resold.

Read up on Msdn and educational licensing then you'll understand why they can't be sold or used outside of education purposes and they have ways of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Once an Msdn account is blacklisted all the keys linked to the account are also blacklisted and likewise an educational institution will audit their student registry after Ms detects unusual amounts of educational license requests from them and any keys on non-current or phantom student accounts will get deactivated. Or they will do that on a yearly basis and deactivate keys for non current or phantom students, same end result. If you have a 365 account when that happens everything in the cloud is lost for the user account in question.
Of course, and you shouldn't be putting your faith in the cloud which in most cases isn't the cloud in any case. But nothing stops you from still using a license. You are linking licenses and codes here when the two aren't the same. To cancel a license MS would have to inform you in writing with a refund for the license they are revoking.

So legally just buy the required licenses and use Windows Loader which you should be using in any case to make your life simpler.

airborne

Executive Member
Of course, and you shouldn't be putting your faith in the cloud which in most cases isn't the cloud in any case. But nothing stops you from still using a license. You are linking licenses and codes here when the two aren't the same. To cancel a license MS would have to inform you in writing with a refund for the license they are revoking.

So legally just buy the required licenses and use Windows Loader which you should be using in any case to make your life simpler.
Reading that it's clear you didn't take in any of the info or advice in my previous reply and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I suppose that's par for the course, my bad for expecting otherwise. As I you were

Swa

Honorary Master
Reading that it's clear you didn't take in any of the info or advice in my previous reply and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I suppose that's par for the course, my bad for expecting otherwise. As I you were
No we've been talking about the licenses the whole time. Not the keys MS uses to verify them.

airborne

Executive Member
No we've been talking about the licenses the whole time. Not the keys MS uses to verify them.
Yes that's the whole point, each key is linked to a license agreement. The key is the validation tool Microsoft uses to check the entitlement of the license.

AKA IF THE KEY YOU PURCHASED IS LINKED TO A LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT PRECLUDES THAT LICENSE BEING SOLD THEN THE ACT OF PURCHASING THE LICENSE RENDERS THE KEY INVALID.

Once Microsoft becomes aware that a License key is being used in contravention of the license agreement they immediately deactivate it and blacklist it.

They don't need to ask for anyone's permission because the MSDN account that had previously been entitled to the Licence key(which the account holder then sold on eBay to Lew) has been terminated for contravening the terms of the MSDN agreement. MS flips the switch and all the licences get deactivated, over.

I hope that clears it up.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yes that's the whole point, each key is linked to a license agreement. The key is the validation tool Microsoft uses to check the entitlement of the license.

AKA IF THE KEY YOU PURCHASED IS LINKED TO A LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT PRECLUDES THAT LICENSE BEING SOLD THEN THE ACT OF PURCHASING THE LICENSE RENDERS THE KEY INVALID.

Once Microsoft becomes aware that a License key is being used in contravention of the license agreement they immediately deactivate it and blacklist it.

They don't need to ask for anyone's permission because the MSDN account that had previously been entitled to the Licence key(which the account holder then sold on eBay to Lew) has been terminated for contravening the terms of the MSDN agreement. MS flips the switch and all the licences get deactivated, over.

I hope that clears it up.
Yes it's a validation tool. What I've been saying all along. The whole point of keys is actually quite iffy as it places all control in the hands of a single party and your only remediation is to go to court. The license is a legal agreement separate from the tool used to validate it. MS or any other party can only terminate such a license if they provide reimbursement otherwise you still have the legal right to use it.

Masataka

I’m always more than happy to spend money and support something that I want, but greedy regionalization and platform exclusives ruins it.

airborne

Executive Member
Yes it's a validation tool. What I've been saying all along. The whole point of keys is actually quite iffy as it places all control in the hands of a single party and your only remediation is to go to court. The license is a legal agreement separate from the tool used to validate it. MS or any other party can only terminate such a license if they provide reimbursement otherwise you still have the legal right to use it.
If someone sold you a license in contravention of the license agreement, you got ripped off fair and square, your only recourse is with the seller. Ms owes you nothing and can terminate that license anytime they choose to.

Granted that next level logic is way past your pay grade, so I'll assume you will not understand any of it.