WIFI 3G router in car

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Do you get a mobile 3G / WIFI router that you can use in your car to create a WIFI hotspot?

Reason is I have WIFI at home and at work. Plus I have an MTN 3G dongle not being used, but paying for it.

Is there a 3G / WIFI router that can work in your car powered by the 12 volt lighter socket for example?

Never even considered this before so no idea what's available :p

Dan C

Honorary Master
Any mifi router should work. Power it with something like this USB-Car-charger.jpg

PsyWulf

Executive Member
I carry my Mifi around with me and only charge it in the car. Works well for the most part (except some signal dead zones while driving)

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Sent, btw, using my phone on tapatalk connected to a mifi plugged into my car.

envo

Expert Member
step 1) Google.com -> turn car into mobile hotspot, click the button "search" or just press enter
step 2) ???
step 3) Profit

sajunky

Honorary Master
Cool. Any cheap ones that are recommended?
The cheapest WiFi router is probably one of the cheap Android phones with WiFi hotspot enabled, like Huawei Y220 R450 in Edgars/Jet stores. You can't get 21Mbps MiFi router at that price.

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I'll be going for the TP-LINK MR3020 at about R350 as I can use it to boost my WIFI signal at home as well.

After doing some more homework, it seems it have a cult status.

It also supports DD-WRT and there are quite a few hacks you can perform on it (including turning it into
a USB NAS device).

Also if you were willing to risk a fine from ICASA there are R100 options available on eBay ;)

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
That sounds like a very sweet deal you got going on there - well done.