WiFi Extenders: spawn of satan

Hi! I need some help, trying to work from home in my boyfriend's house.
We know, because your boyfriend confided in his brethren today about how it is affecting him to such an extent that he is now considering working outside in a shed instead of in his four-bedroom mansion.
Signal from lounge is great in lounge
That discovery presents you with the cheapest solution: Move your office to the lounge.
and almost non-existent at 4th bedroom.
Screenshot_20200815-165452.png

Before bed , go hide routers power cord , let him search till he agrees to help you
That is also a very economical option because not only does it save on electricity costs, it automatically saves both of you from ever getting to spend a cent on Couples Therapy.
Thanks guys! Super helpful!
Welcome to the MyBB forums!

Hi! I need some help, trying to work from home in my boyfriend's house. Please can you tech knowledgeable peeps help me with best option please? Thanks!

Signal from lounge is great in lounge, 1st room thereafter (his office) is fine, and signal is ok in 2nd bedroom, then bad in 3rd room (my office) and almost non-existent at 4th bedroom. He's not interested in helping me with this because his office is fine and he doesn't need signal in the bedroom... but obviously I need it for work.

I see Vodacom installed a Huawei HG 659 modem, from which I usually use the 2.5G. So I'm looking for a reasonable option to extend. I see it's not recommended to go with just any wifi-extender? I see there are 2 recommendations above, one is TP-Link Deco mesh and one is Mikrotik router with Ubiquiti APs. Seems like the latter is an expensive and possibly a complicated option to install.

You can plug a unifi AP into 1 of those yellow ports if you're ok with running an ethernet cable to the third room.

PS are you contributing to the Internet bill?

I see Vodacom installed a Huawei HG 659 modem
Vodacom (and some other Fibre industry players) provide a vendor-managed router. This essentially means that you have no access to its settings.
That specific router is good (AC-type, 3x3 MU-MIMO, etc) but it has only internal antennas.
One of the cheapest options / backup solutions that I have discovered to date is to simply plug a Tenda AC8 into the back of the Huawei. Once you switch the AC8 on, it will instantly copy the (PPPoE) connection type credentials to itself. Then, using the Tenda app (or the GUI to the router), you can set up the AC8 as the main router.

The reason?

It has four external antennas (one for each bedroom, maybe?), rated at 6dB each. Not 3dB, not 4dB, not 5dB ... but 6dB each!

Bonus:

When you two eventually break up, which could turn out to be sooner than you anticipated earlier in the weekend, you can take the Tenda with you and simply plug the Huawei back in to the wall socket without having to reconfigure any settings at all.

Hi! I need some help, trying to work from home in my boyfriend's house. Please can you tech knowledgeable peeps help me with best option please? Thanks!

Signal from lounge is great in lounge, 1st room thereafter (his office) is fine, and signal is ok in 2nd bedroom, then bad in 3rd room (my office) and almost non-existent at 4th bedroom. He's not interested in helping me with this because his office is fine and he doesn't need signal in the bedroom... but obviously I need it for work.

I see Vodacom installed a Huawei HG 659 modem, from which I usually use the 2.5G. So I'm looking for a reasonable option to extend. I see it's not recommended to go with just any wifi-extender? I see there are 2 recommendations above, one is TP-Link Deco mesh and one is Mikrotik router with Ubiquiti APs. Seems like the latter is an expensive and possibly a complicated option to install.
Where is the main router installed? In the lounge? Can you possibly raise it higher in the room closer to the ceiling?

Extenders are mostly rather dismal failures.

Run a cable down the passage. You're welcome.

We know, because your boyfriend confided in his brethren today about how it is affecting him to such an extent that he is now considering working outside in a shed instead of in his four-bedroom mansion.
That discovery presents you with the cheapest solution: Move your office to the lounge.

View attachment 893552

That is also a very economical option because not only does it save on electricity costs, it automatically saves both of you from ever getting to spend a cent on Couples Therapy.
Welcome to the MyBB forums!
You should send an invoice for this advice, its so good!

Both bugs are post-authentication – so a user would need to be signed in to exploit the bugs. But there’s a big caveat to this: The web server itself is password-protected with the default (and very guessable) password “admin.”
Similarly, the web server interface should only be accessible from the local network – however, a wrong setup and configuration can expose it to the internet and therefore remote attackers
Default is not to expose to net, so you have to toggle it on.
Not changing the default password is not really on Tenda, pretty much every manufacturer sets admin or 123456 as the password.
DNS rebinding involves using a malicious JavaScript payload to scan the local network looking for vulnerable powerline extenders. If found, a login could be attempted using a list of popular passwords.
Your browser should block this, CORS.
Pre-Auth Denial of Service
The third vulnerability (CVE-2019-19506), which rates 7.5 out of 10 on the severity scale, resides in a process named “homeplugd,” which is related to the extender device’s powerline functionality. By sending a specially crafted UDP packet, an attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the device to reboot. By causing a recurring reboot, the device will loop through restarts and not be able to carry out its functions or connect to the internet.

Unlike the other two bugs, an attacker in this case would not need to be authenticated.

“As we were inspecting the open ports and their corresponding services on the extender, we noticed the homeplugd process listening on UDP port 48912,” according to the analysis. “Reversing the binary revealed to us that no authentication was required to interact with this service.”
The above is the first "proper" exploit that I'd care about, but it doesn't state whether it will care about from where the packet came, if it blocks anything coming from the internet, then it doesn't really matter.

All of these should still be patched though.

That Vodacom device is so locked down that its pretty much useless, you should get rid of it, what i did was get 2 routers with WAN and LAN ports only.

One was for the internet routing and one was configured as an AP, you login to the one you want as an AP and during the initial setup you say "Use in AP mode", give it an IP which is within your main IP pool which your main router provides, 192.168.0.100 in my case.

Connect a LAN cable from LAN 2 of your main router and to LAN 1 of your AP.

Disable DHCP on second router (AP)

Make all SSIDs (wifi names) on both routers the same name and password to allow flawless roaming.

I suggest TP-link or dlinks.

What you need is powerline devices, no cables and it works great using your existing electrical wiring, I have been using TPLink ones for years. Search for tplink powerline there are a couple of various models for sale.

This past week I went to a factory. They had 4 extenders of different makes and it was a mess (putting it mildly). How any IT guy (from a WISP nogal) can sell this kuk is beyond me.
Tenda and TP-LINk is slaptjips cheap and requires a stash of MyProdol to make work. Better than Asus/Netgear/Billion/Belken/Dlink or any of the other kuk found in retail shops).
UniFi is better still but its like sniffing a bulldog's backside when trying to use SNMP.
Mikrotik is OK.
Aruba and Cisco are good if you can get some refurbs. New price is ridiculous and no-one can afford them.
I'd use OpenWRT but then it has that stupid thing about not using non-free. That shoots itself with both barrels in the feet for WiFi.
You'd think after 20 years this market segment would be sorted????

Last edited:
This past week I went to a factory. They had 4 extenders of different makes and it was a mess (putting it mildly). How any IT guy (from a WISP nogal) can sell this kuk is beyond me.
Tenda and TP-LINk is slaptjips cheap and requires a stash of MyProdol to make work. Better thank Asus/Netgear/Billion/Belken/Dlink or any of the other kuk found in retail shops).
UniFi is better still but its like sniffing a bulldog's backside when trying to use SNMP.
Mikrotik is OK.
Aruba and Cisco are good if you can get some refurbs. New price is ridiculous and no-one can afford them.
I'd use OpenWRT but then it has that stupid thing about not using non-free. That shoots itself with both barrels in the feet for WiFi.

well it would make sense for a wisp techy to push wireless thingies as solutions :D especially the inexperienced ones

unifi is great if you just need internet, anything more advanced is like chewing glass. or a dogs greeting as you put it. :ROFL:

yeap, wifi extenders are the biggest gimmick on earth.

Best to get some ethernet cables and run them through the roof or however you fancy.

WIFI mesh routers are great, BUT, you really need to run an ethernet cable (or powerline adapters) between the different AP's to get the full benefit. Just relying on a wireless connection between the different mesh AP's is not much better than using a WIFI extender.

Slightly OT, but what would be the best way to get my wifi signal through the whole house ????? Telkom B315 router

Tenda and TP-LINk is slaptjips cheap and requires a stash of MyProdol to make work. Better than Asus/Netgear/Billion/Belken/Dlink or any of the other kuk found in retail shops).
Mikrotik is OK.
You missed your calling. Would make good money being a stand-up comedian:laugh::ROFL:
Do you have a blog? Linky?

Back