Wifi signal blocking

armitage

Expert Member
I've been wondering about this topic for a while now.

How would i go about blocking a wifi signal if i knew were the signal came from?

I'm not gonna do it i just need to know to confirm a few things

Proud South african rip offs.

encrypted

You want to interfere with the air signal ? or something simple like wrap an antennae in foil ?

stoke

Honorary Master
Physically block it with some dense or highly reflective substance is the best way.
or
You can irritate the source of the signal by throwing rubbish signals (Static) at the source on the same frequency, thereby causing the signal source to think their equipment is faulty.
or
If you are realllllllly crazy, you can generate an exact opposite signal on the same frequency that will attempt to cancel out the incoming frequency.
I.e. Recieve the signal you want to "block" and at the exact same instance (not even one .0001 ms later), generate the inverse signal to cancel it out (Trough meet peak = 0).
One problem is generating the inverse signal at the exact same that you recieved it.
So - recieve the incoming signal at point A (Closest to the source) and then generating another signal that is the inverse of the incoming signal at point B (1 Meter further from Point A and the Source).
The 1 meter distance will give you .001 ms extra time to generate the inverse signal.
Also - when you generate the cancelling signal, it must match up in a signal spread that will match the area that you want to cover, and get the signal angle 100% correct.

Note: 1 meter was just a made up measurement, and the ms measurements are just descriptive.

encrypted

A refinement on chopping down their antennae would be to plant trees that grow really tall.. watch as their signal crumbles over next 100 years.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

armitage

Expert Member
the interest in it comes from a purely punatical sense. just wondering

LethalChicken

Expert Member
1) send noise on their frequency
2) Send whitenoise on their frequency
3) Broadcast a stronger signal on their frequency .. that's how MNet killed BopTV in south africa ...

We are Telkom - Resistance is Futile - You will be Assimilated

freeek

Expert Member
"Broadcast a stronger signal on their frequency .. that's how MNet killed BopTV in south africa ..."

lol thats actually quite evil! Anit-competitive! wat was BopTV?

..- dot dot dash ;)

mbs

Expert Member
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">lol thats actually quite evil! Anit-competitive! wat was BopTV?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
'Bhophutatswana Television' - channel being broadcast from Mafeking - ex-homeland propaganda machine. Still working as far as I know, but only able to be received with a grainy picture in patchy areas in Joburg with normal receiving equipment, and broadcasts soapies and music videos and not much else...

Perdition

Expert Member
Bop TV used to rock back in the day i.e. when your only other choice was the SABC channels [;)]

John

We might train one of those enourmous 100db antenna's Telkom
uses to send signals from Sabie to Nelspruit, a distance of
over 50km to jam www.wavestream.co.za towers if they don't stop
stuffing up the 2.4 ghz spectrum. Uninetwork deploys mainly
5ghz equipment, because 2.4 is so polluted.

armitage

Expert Member
lol, frightening but funny. imagine whenever one of the wisps start screaming on the channel that all the other wisps just start sending em white noise.

Or start to grow genetically engineered freaking evil trees

Spamtheman

Easy way to clear the nearby airwaves of "unwanted" 2.4 GHz traffic. Get hold of a nice big omni directional antenna. Grab a microwave, a 100m extension cable and an old fridge. Hook the omni up to the microwave and string the extension cable as far away as it can get. Send your wife and kids far away, like the uk or something (or not :p). Climb into the fridge and close the door, from within the fridge plug the extension lead into power. Once the glowing behind your eyelids stops there should be no other wireless signals.

daffy

Expert Member
Speaking of Wavestream...
I cant find a single 802.11b/g channel in the East Rand that isn't flooded with over-amped CRAP from Wavestream!!
What can we do? Without getting mean and causing interference with them, 'cause I just know that they'll turn their amps up higher when stuff breaks.

ICASA? where are yoooo?

stoke

Honorary Master
This is like the old neighbour playing their crappy music too loud. The one with the biggest and loudest speakers does not always win. In the end, it's the one who perseveres past 05H00 and has the meanest dog that wins.
I'm afraid that Wavestream have quite beeg dags, and a possibly even a license.
Have you tried 2 directional antennae ?

encrypted

Well, one could spend money and time trying to get past such noise, but the point remains is the noise shouldnt be there. Wavestream is made up of idiots who think a proper network is about how many kilo-watts you can squeeze through the biggest antennae that wasnt so heavy the building tilted when you attached it. What they do is against regulations and they should be responsible, its a shared spectrum.

ICASA should, however probably wont address the matter. Dont worry about getting mean, kick them in the nads, burn their houses, feed their children to wild animals whatever, theyre breaking the law.

Seriously tho, point your spare antennaes at their EQ, put them on ad-hoc or something, multicast some media and 2 days later call them and ask kindly that they drop their equipment to 100mW.

John

Look the opensource commons would be able to put a stop to this spectrum pollution. We must get some toy-toy lessons, contact Duncan Mcleod at Financial mail to help explain the issue and as a group of over 50 - 100 people go and protest infront of their headoffice.
As an individual I would be carefull before I jam their highsites - you might just have your face rearanged by a bouncer. As a group, even getting the support of Icasa we can stop this nonsense. If we don't take action then the 5ghz spectrum is the next in line to be jammed...

Telkom also want's to use the 2.4ghz spectrum...which means
legislation! And as we know any additional legislation that makes
specific ref to parabolics and the 2.4ghz spectrum will essentially
forbid community/commercial WISP's. Thankfully we would be able to
use fronting companies and simply ignore all the laws, because the
police will ignore it.

caroper

Executive Member
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by armitage</i>
<br />How would i go about blocking a wifi signal if i knew were the signal came from?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ask Sentech to administer it.[:D]