wifi speed query

nad_isa

Hi All

Need some help on determining whether all is well with my internet setup.

So i recently installed a new fibre line with Afrihost on OS (100/50). I have connected the ONT to a mikrotik Haplite for testing. I then have a Unifi NanoHD connected in standalone mode to the hap lite (one SSID combined).

Now i am aware that there are various factors that influnce wifi speeds but i noted some items below.

Standing directly under the AP get the following (dwn/up - Mbps):

50/45 ---> on a HP G3 Probook

65-70/48 ---> on a Samsung A52 (this deteriorates as i move away from the AP as expected

95/49 ---> on a HP elitebook

Some questions:

1. is the samsung that crappy from a wifi perspective? surely not - what am I missing here

2. should i rather setup 2,4ghz & 5ghz seperately and test seperately (i had setup the frequencies combined upon initial setup)

3. Similarly on the Probook - it is an older laptop so is this expected?

Mzezman

I also have an A52 and its wifi performance is not great - on my combined SSID it will connect to the 2.4 band vs the 5ghz band more often than not. Older devices generally struggle to get the most from Wifi and will most likely choose the 2.4ghz band

How is your nanoHD setup? What are the channel strengths etc? What does a wifi scan of your surrounding give you?

nad_isa

I also have an A52 and its wifi performance is not great - on my combined SSID it will connect to the 2.4 band vs the 5ghz band more often than not. Older devices generally struggle to get the most from Wifi and will most likely choose the 2.4ghz band

How is your nanoHD setup? What are the channel strengths etc? What does a wifi scan of your surrounding give you?
thanks.

i just did a quick setup on the NanoHD in standalone mode and did not tinker with any settings or run wifi analyzer as yet - just thought its poor for the A52 right under the nanoHD even if it links to 2,4ghz..

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
I have an HP and when the laptop goes to sleep the network card stays "asleep" when it wakes up. Wifi speed then stays at about 10% speed. So I have to reconnect the Wifi to get it back up to full speed. So my HP laptop WIFi is buggy, check if yours do the same.

Muttley

Expert Member
I would start by doing an RF Environment Scan within Unifi. Set 2.4GHz to either channel 1/6/11 (whichever is least crowded) and 5GHz to the least crowded channel as well.
I would also then change the channel width on the 5GHz radio to VHT80.

I wouldn't necessarily create 2 separate SSID's as the client/s will decide which radio within the NanoHD to connect to but I would perhaps set the SSID on the Unifi to a different one to the Mikrotik, just to really test the speed from each device.

Test the speed on the Mikrotik and then try the speed on the Unifi.

One thing to note on the NanoHD - it's 2.4GHz performance is K@K - I have one and have taken this up with Ubiquiti - they confirmed that their focus is on 5GHz so yeah. Doing an IPerf test, I've seen the device hit speeds of 550Mbps to my iPhone 12 on VHT80- I still need to try VHT160 at some point.

nad_isa

I would start by doing an RF Environment Scan within Unifi. Set 2.4GHz to either channel 1/6/11 (whichever is least crowded) and 5GHz to the least crowded channel as well.

I wouldn't necessarily create 2 separate SSID's as the client/s will decide which radio within the NanoHD to connect to but I would perhaps set the SSID on the Unifi to a different one to the Mikrotik, just to really test the speed from each device.

One thing to note on the NanoHD - it's 2.4GHz performance is K@K - I have one and have taken this up with Ubiquiti - they confirmed that their focus is on 5GHz so yeah. Doing an IPerf test, I've seen the device hit speeds of 550Mbps to my iPhone 12 on VHT80- I still need to try VHT160 at some point.

thank you will try the above.

nad_isa

So tried the above. some improvement - but when splitting SSID into 2.4 and 5ghz and then testing with the samsung a52 i got my full linespeed (100/50 mbps) on 5ghz.

On 2.4ghz im still only getting 50-65/50 mbps on the NanoHD.

f\\